Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker suggestions
(15-May-2021, 19:52)HA Oslo Wrote:
(14-May-2021, 10:33)Bartype Wrote: Well, i do own a pair of SF Olympica II's, i belive you would call this the middle class of SF. at least to my ears (which propably are not the best out there :-) my current setup sounds really good with almost everything, including rock. Only very very bad recorded punk records and the like are not really shining, but that's probably music you best listen on a crappy car speakers, no?!

Ok, as far I've read the Nova is even better and sounding more neutral? I played the Nova on a A/B test with the best speakers for rock (Fyne, imo) so yes maybe they play rock well. Would love to test them at home.

Well, i have no experience with the Nova, of course, they are newer and maybe better sounding when directly compared...

But i have to say, about half of the sound quality i have reached with clean power solutions a better switch, cables and a little room treatment. so yeah, maybe not the same fun to shop for, but i would say at least as important for the end result...
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
You might try upgrading your power cord and speaker cables to Synergistic Research Atmosphere first - at least get a loaner/demo pair.
The Magico S1 is an amazing speaker and Magico phase coherence is something special with Devialet.
That and your power supply/conditioner.
Cable Co lending library or a good dealer.
Well worth it before switching speakers.
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
I listened to all the speakers I wanted expect, but none had the same transparency and details as The Magico. I didn´t fine mye dream speakers for the price level. All had som good things, and less good things.

I found a solutions with the air pressure. Magico use a vented screws for transport so I just removed it. I don´t think its a problem for the sound. Only for the summer.

I think I will change speakers later. Used! The only downside with Magico is that they are very revealing on bad recordings.
I have listened to a used Wilson Audio Sabrina. They played very well, especially on classical music. Just the tonality I like with that genre. The played rock decently, but not very engaging. Pretty nice with bad recordings. A little bit on the dark side with some recordings but not all. Som uneven frequency respond? I'm not shure. A bit difficult speaker to evalulate. But I must say, regarding the price they didn't really impress me. I didn't think they where quite worth the price. I hoped for more resolution in the price segment. Played with Boulder and Aavik in two different rooms. I also heard the Børresen Z2. Very beautiful sound, clean and neat. Slightly on the dark side og neutrality. But didn't think they where worth the price either.

So still Dynaudio Contour and Sonus Faber Olympica which are the most interesting speakers new.

Have not yet listened to Marten and Audio Physics. Vivid would be interesting too, but only used.
I was very close to buy Sonus Faber Olympiva Nova 3, but ended up buying Dynaudio Contour 30i. But they disappointed me a bit. Yes, they sounded nicer to bad recordings. Yes, the sounded a little bit warmer. It was soon clear for me that my Magico S1 souded way more engaging, precise, well more detailed and more transparent. I prefer that over less analytic performance. I sold them again. And concluded that it's very very expensive to have "both". Too expensive. So Ill keep them for years to come. Maybe I regret not buying a Audio Physic at a really good offer. But better than Magico overall? I doubt it thought. I've not heard a speaker with more detailed and transparent sound for less money.
It all ended with some new Sonus faber Olympica Nova 1 with Gravis II subwoofer.

But this forum seems pretty dead now?
(13-Jan-2024, 21:55)HA Oslo Wrote: But this forum seems pretty dead now?

Big Grin You're wrong! When situation arises, we all wake up mighty fast ... 

Enjoy your SF acquisitions.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I had to laugh when I came across this thread, which hadn't been updated in a while.

Unless one reviews audio gear for a living it's become difficult to sample the multitude of new speakers and other audio-related gear to whet the appetite on a regular basis.

What I've done is invested my hard earned money the best I can with my main system and maximize the enjoyment I can get from it. Getting to that point took a pretty long time. My main music listening rig is also my movie / TV watching setup. I once had the full surround-sound setup, but outgrew it. The Devialet Phantoms 1 108db create a wonderful soundstage for everything I listen to. 

Where I do allow myself to try out new gear is in secondary listening areas, where the best sound isn't needed or realistic.... i.e., kitchen, exercise area, etc. For these areaes I rotate a variety of MUCH less expensive gear. These include previous Phantoms (Phantom 1 103 Premier Classics in mono single speaker setups), Klipsch The Three's, and different generations of JBL Boomboxes. I discovered stereo music playback via the boombox as a 12 year old kid. Boombox sound quality and streaming capabiity has come a long way over the years, and they hold a soft spot for me. For these areas these all sound fantastic.

[Image: Qp1g9bB.jpg]
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i