Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming from Tidal and NAS
Wink 
Hello,

Greetings everyone,  I am new member on this forum hoping to learn a lot from you guys here.

I finally decided to take home Expert Pro 440 CI few days ago. At the moment I am still using My NAIM NDS/Chord DAVE to feed the devialet as I have not been able to find iOS app that can control my Devialet to play from Tidal/NAS/Spotify.

After doing some research on this site, I found that I have to use ROON software that cost me about $500 for lifetime member and also I need to upgrade my NAS to more expensive model that has SSD attach to it. My NAS does not have the power to run ROON Core. This is abit dissapointed for me, I use to have one app from Naim that do everything as soon as you download the app to your iOS device. It access your TIDAL/Spotify/NAS in seamless way.

Soundwise, My 440 Core wow me, when I brought it home, I was so impressed with the excellent sound it produced. 

Anyone can advise me what the options if I want to run Tidal/NAS on one application without adding computer on the chain?

Cheers,
Have a look to Lindemann Audio Limettree network bridge
I have found that Roon really is basically a non-negotiable if you want to stream to the Devialet directly (without using some 3rd party streamer as source).

Your NAS does not have to run Roon directly. If you have a PC/Mac you can always install Roon on it and then simply point Roon to your NAS as storage point for your music. Once done you can then control everything from the Roon iOS app (iPhone or iPad). Tidal also integrates into Roon so you can control both your NAS based music and Tidal streaming from the same point.
Roon does provide a trial period so you can try it out first.

I have an iMac running Roon with an external HDD linked to it with all my music. I also have Tidal integrated into Roon. Roon streams wirelessly to my Devialet and I control it all via the Roon app on my iPad. It is rock solid over both Air and RAAT.

I don't use Spotify but I believe that integrates directly to the Devialet via the Spotify app though I've never tried it.

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
Welcome and congrats for joining the team, theking.
I´m not the expert you need to get a proper advise, but i can tell you that i´m using a cheap server/streamer to avoid the computer as core. A updated NAS is your other chance, but there´s a lot of alternatives, for every kind of taste.
Good luck.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(10-Sep-2019, 04:09)theking Wrote: Anyone can advise me what the options if I want to run Tidal/NAS on one application without adding computer on the chain?
The reality of Roon is that you need some form of a computer (a NAS is a computer, too) to house its core: 1) a NUC, 2) a NUCleus (customized NUC from Roon), a PC/Mac device or a powerful NAS, which, I believe, is not the preferred location according to Roon.

If you want an inexpensive route, you can build your own NUC with the excellent instructions (and links to buy the correct products) from Roon.

If you want one-stop shopping, you can purchase a Nucleus or Nucleus+ from Roon.

As others have pointed out on this thread, you may also use a PC or MAC device.

Finally, you could upgrade your NAS to match the requirements for Roon, which would give you one fewer box in the chain.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(10-Sep-2019, 04:09)theking Wrote: At the moment I am still using My NAIM NDS/Chord DAVE to feed the devialet as I have not been able to find iOS app that can control my Devialet to play from Tidal/NAS/Spotify.

After doing some research on this site, I found that I have to use ROON software that cost me about $500 for lifetime member...
It seems you have come across Roon from reading from this board.  You don't have to use Roon if all you want to do is stream music to your Devialet.  Your Naim NDS has native support for Tidal and also Spotify Connect capabilities.  The Naim is also UPnP-enabled, so you can access music on your NAS.  Of course, you will need to use the Naim app on either an iOS or Android device.  You may use the Devialet iOS app to control the volume or use the Devialet remote.  I hope that helps, as it appears you are thinking you must use Roon to get your streaming music.  You don't have to use Roon.  Many on this board do use Roon for its various capabilities but that's not a requirement.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 440.

Roon does offer a trial period, however, as previously mentioned, you would need additional hardware in the form of either PC, MAC, NUC, ROON Nucleus, or the likes thereof.
For the interim, give the “Mconnect” app a try on your IOS platform. It supports streaming from TIDAL (and QOBUZ I think). It also offers support for NAS content via UPNP. There’s a free version (with adverts) on the App Store. ROON is miles ahead, but hopefully this will fill the void while you decide on which route to take.

Happy Listening.
Devialet 220PRO CI, Sonus Faber Cremona M FS, Innuos ZenMini MKIII, Aurender A10, Nordost Heimdall 2 Power (A10), Nordstrom Heimdall 2 Speaker Cable, Audioquest Carbon USB X2, Audioquest Red River Analog & Digital RCAs, Project Audio Carbon Debut, IsoAcoustics GAIAII OPPO203,
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Thank You for the feedback folks. I might go down NAS path, my NAS is pretty old and i think it will be good to upgrade into more powerful machine and i can use some of the power for other purposes rather buying dedicated roon server. By doing this, I can use my Naim streamer for my main system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghosttipper Wrote:Have a look to Lindemann Audio Limettree network bridge
Hi @ghosttipper - Do you have any experience of the Lindemann Audio Limetree?  The reason that I ask is that (for reasons I don't need to go into here) I have recently become interested in simple "end point" type devices that output S/PDIF.  The Limetree is one example, you could add the Waversa WStreamer, then you have much more expensive products like the Antipodes Edge / dCS Network Bridge.

The Limetree interests me, very simple, low cost, but apparently has a decent Femto clock etc.  I was just wondering is you (or anyone else) has any experience of this device?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused - a number of years ago I used a Gustard U12 and thought it was good. I believe they now have an updated version - U16. Check out the reviews/specs.

Dan
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA