Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sweet Room
Want to collect some feedback who has done the Sweet room on their Devialet and how do you think about it? Do you think it makes your music sound better significantly?
(11-Oct-2020, 15:23)PeppaPig Wrote: Want to collect some feedback who has done the Sweet room on their Devialet and how do you think about it? Do you think it makes your music sound better significantly?

To me it does. I was already using the room correction options within Roon to correct for a huge standing wave at 37,5 hz on my listening postion. This low a frequency is almost impossible to correct for with bass traps or the like. The problem with Roon was the other sources like Phono couldn't be corrected, which made playing electronica on vinyl (which can go deep) not very enjoyable.

Now using Sweet Room also the phono output can be corrected, this is really great for my case!
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(11-Oct-2020, 20:48)Bartype Wrote:
(11-Oct-2020, 15:23)PeppaPig Wrote: Want to collect some feedback who has done the Sweet room on their Devialet and how do you think about it? Do you think it makes your music sound better significantly?

To me it does. I was already using the room correction options within Roon to correct for a huge standing wave at 37,5 hz on my listening postion. This low a frequency is almost impossible to correct for with bass traps or the like. The problem with Roon was the other sources like Phono couldn't be corrected, which made playing electronica on vinyl (which can go deep) not very enjoyable.

Now using Sweet Room also the phono output can be corrected, this is really great for my case!

Great to heard that. How you find it between the sweet room correct and the room one?

What is the value should be put into Q?

And I see there are two sections for each channel, do we need to change them all?
Well, you need REW to calculate the Q values used in Roon to ones which can be used within Sweet room, as explained bij alandbush (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Firmware...7#pid96687).

You only need to change what is needed, i for example only use one frequency for the main left and right channel. You can leave the rest default or even remove it...
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components

Unfortunately most living rooms have a sound response (characteristic, signature, identity, call it whatever) that is not suitable for hifi playback. Music may appear bloated, thin or muddy, no matter how good the kit is.

One way to correct this is with room treatments (expensive, and arguably not very pleasing aesthetically).
Another way is to try different speakers. (For instance floor standers that go below the 50Hz will reveal those room issues a lot more than speakers on stands).

Sweet Room is like a super flexible equaliser with an infinite number of sliders. Plus the ability to change the "spread" of the effect each slider has.

Sounds promising, and can work if you have a lot of time and patience (plus the required technical skill).

…for instance adjusting the value for one frequency band, requires, taking the SD card off the amp, plugging it on a computer, saving the new text file, placing the card back on to the Dev, restarting, and re-measuring.
An iterative process that can (IMO)  take the fun out of music listening.[/font][/size]

I am not a studio engineer expert by any stretch … so these are just my impressions having spent quite a bit of energy on the subject…
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
I have no experience with Sweet Room or REW yet but just ordered a UMIK-1 usb mic which is suggested as the mic to use when using REW. What i understand is if REW is used correctly it should not be an iterative process and it is a set it and forget it feature. You should be able to create an optimal EQ setting with REW. If it sounds good to you is another question. However, i also understand that REW has a steep learning curve so it might take some time to do it right. All in all the whole process to get your amp to use a good EQ filter seems to me is not very user friendly at all but I am willing to give it a go. Afterall, it is a hobby and hobbies don’t require any purpose and might cost much time and money
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
(12-Oct-2020, 10:06)yanc Wrote:

Unfortunately most living rooms have a sound response (characteristic, signature, identity, call it whatever) that is not suitable for hifi playback. Music may appear bloated, thin or muddy, no matter how good the kit is.

One way to correct this is with room treatments (expensive, and arguably not very pleasing aesthetically).
Another way is to try different speakers. (For instance floor standers that go below the 50Hz will reveal those room issues a lot more than speakers on stands).

Sweet Room is like a super flexible equaliser with an infinite number of sliders. Plus the ability to change the "spread" of the effect each slider has.

Sounds promising, and can work if you have a lot of time and patience (plus the required technical skill).

…for instance adjusting the value for one frequency band, requires, taking the SD card off the amp, plugging it on a computer, saving the new text file, placing the card back on to the Dev, restarting, and re-measuring.
An iterative process that can (IMO)  take the fun out of music listening.[/font][/size]

I am not a studio engineer expert by any stretch … so these are just my impressions having spent quite a bit of energy on the subject…

Well if you use Roon you can use that to finetune because Roon can do this on the fly and when ok convert the values to Sweet room and so skipping the SD card hassle...

I started using Room EQ about 3 years ago in JRiver, measured with a UMIK-1. Let me tell you, it is NOT a fit & forget solution! Too many people trust the measurements they made one time to be accurate, and yet it is critically dependendent on that. Most of it is too brutal and bleaches the sound. I have sat there easing off individual filters by half-dB's, and instrumental colour starts to return that was squeezed out by the measurement suggestions. There's a balance to be found betwixt measurement and perception. It's almost as if there's -something- in those uneven peaks that has to be preserved to refelect nature!

Funnily enough, one of the best rules of thumb I've discovered after all this time is to squish the main peaks by the same amount! As if you're applying a flat line attenuation, but only squishing the peaks down.
Also stick to <4dB alteration to avoid "bleaching". Boost is 5x harder to get right than cut... sometimes it can "thicken the soup" but then sounds too obvious when a track is heavy in the boosted area (I've given up on boosting).

I find the Devialet EQ very convenient and great-sounding, as it can be applied to DLNA streaming as well (which Roon can achieve, but JRiver cannot).
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Thanks guy, sounds very promising.

At the moment it seems not many review yet, Hopefully we see more reviews coming.
Where did you guys buy this UMIK-1 microphone? 

I am new to EQ. using Stereophile frequencies sweep, I have a +10 db at 80 Hz, -9 db at 50 Hz and +14 db at 31.5 Hz. 
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E