Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sweet Room
Thanks for the suggestion. I try not to introduce a subwoofer, getting 2 speakers right is hard enough, now I have to get all 3 right Confused I’ll find time to play with the positioning. 

I had been toggling between 3 and 5 filters and I am leaning towards the former. What I had discovered from the Umik-1/REW exercise is less is more. The fewer filters I used, the more focused it gets and the more natural it sounds. No Sweet Room is most neutral but had give and take to strike a balance. 

Unsweetened Room | Sweet Room with 3 filters | 5 filters 

Strangely, it seems that the 5th filter is not being utilised, with SAM enabled but set at 0%.

Attached Files
.txt   eq.txt (Size: 2.02 KB / Downloads: 23)
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(07-Dec-2020, 14:54)tategoi Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I try not to introduce a subwoofer, getting 2 speakers right is hard enough, now I have to get all 3 right Confused I’ll find time to play with the positioning. 

I had been toggling between 3 and 5 filters and I am leaning towards the former. What I had discovered from the Umik-1/REW exercise is less is more. The fewer filters I used, the more focused it gets and the more natural it sounds. No Sweet Room is most neutral but had give and take to strike a balance. 

Strangely, it seems that the 5th filter is not being utilised, with SAM enabled but set at 0%.
Hi @tategoi 
Are You using Roon? Did You try DSD in Roon wit full convolution filter?
You will see what is possible. That's very close to Dirac.
Sweet room is a ticket to digital correction.

Digital: Tidal,Qobuz ROON on NUC 8i3 | Analog: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 evolution, Van den Hul Colibri XGW Stradivarius MS  | Devialet 440 pro Ci (2x220) Speaker: Magico S7 M-Coat | Cable: Mit evo one | Power: PSaudio PS12, Keces P8-2, Shunyata Delta EF | Headphone: Audeze MX4, Chord Hugo2 | 2x Devialet Reactor 900 on Ipod 
(07-Dec-2020, 23:18)jvoki Wrote: Did You try DSD in Roon wit full convolution filter?

jvoki, where is the DSP carried out when you do it in Roon? On the computer or in the Devialet?
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(08-Dec-2020, 04:01)ICUDoc Wrote:
(07-Dec-2020, 23:18)jvoki Wrote: Did You try DSD in Roon wit full convolution filter?

jvoki, where is the DSP carried out when you do it in Roon? On the computer or in the Devialet?

On whatever computer is running Roon. It's a Roon function, not a Devialet function. Because of that it only works for music played by Roon.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(08-Dec-2020, 04:01)ICUDoc Wrote:

Roon is computer side, but for understanding how DSP work, and it doesn't matter if it's on a computer, dsp filter or Devialet.  It is a set of several options and to understand what a graphical filter looks like assembled with a parameter from a measurement.

Digital: Tidal,Qobuz ROON on NUC 8i3 | Analog: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 evolution, Van den Hul Colibri XGW Stradivarius MS  | Devialet 440 pro Ci (2x220) Speaker: Magico S7 M-Coat | Cable: Mit evo one | Power: PSaudio PS12, Keces P8-2, Shunyata Delta EF | Headphone: Audeze MX4, Chord Hugo2 | 2x Devialet Reactor 900 on Ipod 
(07-Dec-2020, 23:18)jvoki Wrote:
(07-Dec-2020, 14:54)tategoi Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I try not to introduce a subwoofer, getting 2 speakers right is hard enough, now I have to get all 3 right Confused I’ll find time to play with the positioning. 

Hi @tategoi 
Are You using Roon? Did You try DSD in Roon wit full convolution filter?
Sweet room is a ticket to digital correction.

No. Sweet Room is my first attempt at room correction. As I listen mostly to vinyls, followed by CDs, DSD in Roon doesn’t really serve my needs.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Anyone had experience with SweetRoom making REW chart looks better but sounds worse??

I use sweet room fixed a peak at 12700Hz and bass around 150 and 40, the chart looks linear but I found it sounds not as good as before....
It's hard to give a comment without seeing your measurements. Attach them.

But, for a start, don't use DSP on so high frequencies and don't try to make the FR totally linear. Corrections should not be radical.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(02-Jan-2021, 19:36)Delija Wrote: It's hard to give a comment without seeing your measurements. Attach them.

But, for a start, don't use DSP on so high frequencies and don't try to make the FR totally linear. Corrections should not be radical.

I removed the change on high frequency and it sounds better.

I found this thing is difficult to use without professional knowledge.
(03-Jan-2021, 12:20)PeppaPig Wrote: I found this thing is difficult to use without professional knowledge.

It does require a lot of knowledge, enthusiastic amateur level for sure. Most DSP has the ability to make things much worse, there is nothing in what they have given us to stop you doing this, you really are on your own, here are the rules I've been following.

1) Based on measurements made at the listening position limit corrections you make to below 500Hz. If your room is large use a lower frequency.

2) Only make adjustments above the cut off freq in 1) based on anechoic measurements, and these should probably only be broad (low Q) tonal shifts.

3) Make extensive use of the ability to switch between the 2 configs whilst listening, find a minimal set of filters that do seem to address the worse problems, then explore adding other 'fixes' on top of them driven by what you prefer. The instant switching between the 2 filter banks is the killer feature of SR, most other approaches (e.g. Roon) take a second or so to switch, which is hard for the brain to follow, so make good use of this, and let your preference decide which is best, but don't rush the decision.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution