Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System simplification ideas ...
(11-Jun-2020, 11:20)supaDean Wrote: My solution with zero regrets:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-An-Ode-t...ctor-900-s

I wish I could simplify like that! Unfortunately my current system is multi purposed (multi sources). I need to make some concessions ... if I really want to simplify I might need to make abstraction of the 5.1 during moving watching ... the rest of the usage should be workable with the just a pair of reactor ...
(15-May-2020, 09:43)Snoopy8 Wrote: This could be one way to have a simplified setup and have both stereo and HT using the Reactors:

For stereo, continue using the Vault 2i for your stereo playback.  Volume control using Vault 2i.

For home theatre, use the left and right preouts from your new AVR to feed the Vault 2i.  You will need use an analog to digital converter to feed the Combo - TOSLINK / 3.5mm audio input.  Volume fixed on Vault 2i. Volume control using AVR.

Regarding an AVR, will need one which allows for the 60 ms latency of the Reactors.  I believe Yamaha AVRs (max. 71 ms, 80 ft speaker distance adjustment) can do this, but Marantz, Denon fall just short (53 ms, 60 ft). NAD, Anthem can do max. 27 ms, 30 ft.

@njaiswal is the residential home theatre expert here. Will the above work?
Unfortunately, no... the problem with the reactors is that they hardcoded a delay into the processing.  So you need to add a delay to the KEF speakers to align them with the Reactors and in my experience most home audio gear can't compensate for that... :-(  Best route is to go with the Premiers running DOS1 until Devialet adds optical direct mode to DOS2 with <1ms latency.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(16-May-2020, 10:23)donniemcm Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks to everyone's input, I have came up with the following idea and I think latency issue shouldn't occur:

To recap the purchase:
- 1 DCA
- 1 3x Toslink Switch
- 1 5x HDMI Switch (I already have a 3x HDMI Switch ...)
- Of course a nice pair of Phantom Reactor Angel Big Grin  Well actually any stereo pairs actually (Had in mind the KEF LS50 Wireless)

Results of the simplification:
- No more 5.1
- No more HT amplifier
- No more small tube stereo with its speakers (BT transmission is kept has the new pair of speakers can be connected via BT)

Any comments on that?

Thanks
Do you thing your significant other will be able to use the system?  That's been my biggest headache with the Phantoms...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(16-Jun-2020, 12:24)njaiswal Wrote:

Thanks to everyone's input, I have came up with the following idea and I think latency issue shouldn't occur:

To recap the purchase:
- 1 DCA
- 1 3x Toslink Switch
- Of course a nice pair of Phantom Reactor Angel Big Grin  Well actually any stereo pairs actually (Had in mind the KEF LS50 Wireless)

- No more 5.1
- No more HT amplifier
- No more small tube stereo with its speakers (BT transmission is kept has the new pair of speakers can be connected via BT)

Any comments on that?

Thanks
Do you thing your significant other will be able to use the system?  That's been my biggest headache with the Phantoms...

Ok little update here on my plan ...
As my AliExpress orders seem not to move at all, I am currently trying to cancel that and go for some purchases on Amazon ...

Good thing is, I have found new things!

I've found a very nice adapter ... It's one that can merge a HDMI video flow with audio coming from RCA or Optical and combine it back to a HDMI flow! It actually should help me solve the headache for my Karaoke source!
Below an updated plan schema:

So i should be able to achieve a pretty nice simplification ... but need to receive all the parts (and buy a pair of Reactor Big Grin ) to see if all of that works well ...

Usability-wise:
- My wife should be able to connect via BT from her phone to the Reactor and play her music from whatever sources (Youtube or music application/application). Simplicity of connection should be the same via BT (Not via Wifi though ... but she never connect to the stereo set other than BT anyway)
- TV should be able to output via the digital out to the Optical switch
- Movie watching, Karaoke-ing or gaming should work with video HDMI directly connected to TV via switch and audio via Optical Switch (Although losing 5.1 capability for the games and movie ...)
- Music listening with Vault 2 via Optical switch
- I have another use case for a recent portable projector acquisition, but same, still work in progress Big Grin

Drawback:
- Lost 5.1 capability
- Need to switch between BT and Optical cable mode physically on the Reactor or the application
- Need to get rid of the old hardware Big Grin

I did think recently to get a pair of Classic for normally a better range in sound and the source input auto switch ... But there is a price to that!
(17-Jun-2020, 03:29)donniemcm Wrote:
(16-Jun-2020, 12:24)njaiswal Wrote:

To recap the purchase:
- 1 DCA
- 1 3x Toslink Switch

- No more 5.1
- No more HT amplifier

Any comments on that?

Thanks

Ok little update here on my plan ...
As my AliExpress orders seem not to move at all, I am currently trying to cancel that and go for some purchases on Amazon ...

Good thing is, I have found new things!

I've found a very nice adapter ... It's one that can merge a HDMI video flow with audio coming from RCA or Optical and combine it back to a HDMI flow! It actually should help me solve the headache for my Karaoke source!
Below an updated plan schema:

So i should be able to achieve a pretty nice simplification ... but need to receive all the parts (and buy a pair of Reactor Big Grin ) to see if all of that works well ...

Usability-wise:
- My wife should be able to connect via BT from her phone to the Reactor and play her music from whatever sources (Youtube or music application/application). Simplicity of connection should be the same via BT (Not via Wifi though ... but she never connect to the stereo set other than BT anyway)
- TV should be able to output via the digital out to the Optical switch
- Movie watching, Karaoke-ing or gaming should work with video HDMI directly connected to TV via switch and audio via Optical Switch (Although losing 5.1 capability for the games and movie ...)
- Music listening with Vault 2 via Optical switch
- I have another use case for a recent portable projector acquisition, but same, still work in progress Big Grin

Drawback:
- Lost 5.1 capability
- Need to switch between BT and Optical cable mode physically on the Reactor or the application
- Need to get rid of the old hardware Big Grin

I did think recently to get a pair of Classic for normally a better range in sound and the source input auto switch ... But there is a price to that!
In theory it should work but you have fairly complex chain to make sure everything is routed correctly.  One concern I am highlighting will be your KTV and gaming experience.  The reactors still have fairly high latency built into them so anything that requires real-time feedback may not work as expected...
You are right ...
KTV should be fine (I guess), gaming ... i need to try lol

60ms should be non perceptible I hope Big Grin

Another workaround is to go via the HDMI Arc out of the HDMI switch and use the TV optical output. Not sure my TV has those low latency settings though ...
(13-May-2020, 08:04)Marcello Wrote: I have a similar situation, used the reactors to transform my 5.1 into a 7.1 (or 7.3 if you consider the reactors bass response). 

In order to use it from the HC you need to have pre-amp outs, I used my reactors as front L and R speakers. Regarding the 30ms latency, that works ok for movies and when the receiver is set to Dolby Surround, DTS or Neural X output, however if I use it in multi channel stereo mode for all speakers for music listening the latency adds an echo, so for stereo music I use only the reactors (or only the other 5.1 speakers, both together won't sound nice because of the latency).

The only way I got a decent sound from the Aux input on the reactors was adding an ADC between the receiver and the reactors and connecting the ADC through optic to the reactor. Then you just plug the receiver pre amp out to the ADC and to one of the reactors, and they do the stereo split.

The good thing of this setup is that I still had the other aux optical in, on the other reactor free, to which I connected another ADC, this time one from Pro-ject, specific for turntables, with that I can listen to vinyl turned into digital at 192khz on the reactors, that sounds really good to me for music.

The only downside from this mixed "frankenstein" system is that you need to always select the proper receiver output and reactors input depending on the activity, apart of that I can have atmos, surround and beautiful stereo all in the same room.

Hi  Mr.

I ask about the ad converter you used. 
I am trying to use the above converter for a phantom speakers.
However, I read that the Phantom Speaker does not officially support 24/192 through the toslink method.
Works fine for your reactor?
Thank you.
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
(12-Sep-2020, 02:00)Lee inseok Wrote:
(13-May-2020, 08:04)Marcello Wrote: I have a similar situation, used the reactors to transform my 5.1 into a 7.1 (or 7.3 if you consider the reactors bass response). 

In order to use it from the HC you need to have pre-amp outs, I used my reactors as front L and R speakers. Regarding the 30ms latency, that works ok for movies and when the receiver is set to Dolby Surround, DTS or Neural X output, however if I use it in multi channel stereo mode for all speakers for music listening the latency adds an echo, so for stereo music I use only the reactors (or only the other 5.1 speakers, both together won't sound nice because of the latency).

The only way I got a decent sound from the Aux input on the reactors was adding an ADC between the receiver and the reactors and connecting the ADC through optic to the reactor. Then you just plug the receiver pre amp out to the ADC and to one of the reactors, and they do the stereo split.

The good thing of this setup is that I still had the other aux optical in, on the other reactor free, to which I connected another ADC, this time one from Pro-ject, specific for turntables, with that I can listen to vinyl turned into digital at 192khz on the reactors, that sounds really good to me for music.

The only downside from this mixed "frankenstein" system is that you need to always select the proper receiver output and reactors input depending on the activity, apart of that I can have atmos, surround and beautiful stereo all in the same room.

Hi  Mr.

However, I read that the Phantom Speaker does not officially support 24/192 through the toslink method.
Thank you.
Hi, the Reactor indeed support 24/192. The Pro-Ject ADC has the option to select different bit rate up to 24/192 and the Reactor responds to all selections fine via Toslink.
(14-Sep-2020, 07:13)Marcello Wrote:
(12-Sep-2020, 02:00)Lee inseok Wrote:

Hi  Mr.

Thank you.
Hi, the Reactor indeed support 24/192. The Pro-Ject ADC has the option to select different bit rate up to 24/192 and the Reactor responds to all selections fine via Toslink.

Thank you for reply.
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
(14-Sep-2020, 07:35)Lee inseok Wrote:
(14-Sep-2020, 07:13)Marcello Wrote:
(12-Sep-2020, 02:00)Lee inseok Wrote: Hi  Mr.

Thank you.

I bought a swiissonic ad converter. However, as expected, it is difficult to get 24/192 working on the Phantom. Perhaps 24/192 works fine in a reactor. I am upset because I cannot use the product delivered from Germany to Korea. However, as you said, the sound quality was better than the existing cheap ADC.