Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal Hifi - Sound quality Upnp vs Airplay
I have updraded my stereo Golds to Dos 2, no dialouge - nice improvment in sound quality. Im on Ios.

I used to play Tidal Hifi through the Spark app and now I have the option of using Mconnect through Upnp or use the native Tidal app through Airplay.

I do prefer the interface of the native Tidal app over Mconnect. 

As for playback of up to 16bit/44khz is there any disadvantage of using Airplay through native Tidal app?  

Whats your experience? I do find the soundquality with Airplay excellent and stable so far. 

Do you think Mconnect Upnp should sound better when only listening to 16/44?
Somehow my best results with Tidal were over Bluetooth
You'll be better off using UPnP as the Phantom is going to be fetching the file from Tidal directly and play it based off the local device clock. AirPlay requires the playback/control device to estimate the clock progression of the renderer device which can cause skew and audio artifacts.
Still on DOS1.  Am using UPnP with Tidal and prefer that over Airplay.
Tidal delivers 16/44 quality, so AirPlay or UPnP shouldn't change much. Bluetooth is 16/44 too. The only thing that can matter IMO regarding AirPlay is the quality of your wifi network, which will be used by phone to stream the files from Tidal then from the phone to the Phantom, vs. UPnP where the file is streamed by from Tidal directly to the Phantom.

UPnP is (supposedly) better if you have files higher than 16/44, but I'd recommend you to try an ABX test by yourself and see if you can distinguish the two sources… if you can't, stick with AirPlay and the official Tidal app which has a far better UI than any other UPnP app around!
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
Hi,
Im not an ? user .
But used airplay.
Im suggesting you to try audirvana trail on your local pc and connect through the remote app.Tital will stream 24bit .

Elad
Oh, yes, sorry; forgot about the "tidal masters" stuff. For theses ones UPnP should be best.
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
(14-Jan-2020, 21:00)raph972 Wrote: You'll be better off using UPnP as the Phantom is going to be fetching the file from Tidal directly and play it based off the local device clock. AirPlay requires the playback/control device to estimate the clock progression of the renderer device which can cause skew and audio artifacts.

Thats interesting regarding the clocking, then it sounds like Upnp should be the way to go, local clock must be better than an Iphone clock.

Is this something that is going to change when the Golds are upgraded to Airplay 2? Will Airplay 2 work the same way as Upnp and have the golds use its internal clock when streaming Tidal on an Airplay 2 device?   

Lets do some tryouts on this in the weekend to see if I can find soundquality difference.