Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Devialet or not to Devialet
(25-Feb-2015, 14:35)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(25-Feb-2015, 14:23)Womaz Wrote: Hi
My first post on here. Looking at the possible purchase of a 120......maybe a 200 but probably stretching my finances a little.
Just looking for some guidance. I currently have the MFM6i amp and PMC 23 speakers, and i love the bass and punchy sound that gives me. I will have to demo the Devialet, but as I am up in Newcastle UK that is easier said than done. its quite a travel. Also added complication that I would like to hear it with the 23s. Just been chatting to one dealer who stocks the Devialet, and he has said I would need a high quality USB cable, about £600. Really?

Any guidance much appreciated.

You 'need' to look at another dealer. To tell you that you 'need' a 600 pound USB cable to get good sound out of a Devialet is stupid. You probably spoke with the trainee sales person who had just been told that the mark up on cables is ten fold what it is on electronics.

As for 120 or 200. Since you're used to 200W into 8 Ohm and like the punchy sound, I think you probably want to aim for a 200. 

Let us know how you're going.

Cheers,

Pim

(26-Feb-2015, 09:55)thumb5 Wrote:
(26-Feb-2015, 09:12)Womaz Wrote: Ah my apologies, I have obviously misunderstood the messages. So this can be done on both the 120 and the 200?
Or i guess that depends on what i am connecting to the Devialet and whether there are enough outputs. It might be a good idea for me to hear that at my demo too.

It seems there are two schools of thought about headphones.  Vivialet pointed out they can be connected directly to the line-level outputs (with an adapter), but I'd be a little wary of that and would use a headphone amp in between.  My thinking is that the line outputs probably aren't designed to drive what might be a fairly low impedance, which means the quality of audio you'd get from directly-connected headphones could vary depending on the characteristics of the headphones you're using.  A headphone amp is designed for the job and should be a very easy load for the line outputs to drive, hence avoiding any possible loss of quality.

Thats a very good point. when i demo taking my headphones along is a must then. The Dev appeals even more if I can just have one box, although a network player and dev would probably be my choice. Thanks
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(26-Feb-2015, 09:15)Womaz Wrote: The idea of picking it up in Ireland is also interesting. I am sort of guessing the support and back up is very much web based so may not matter where you buy it from. I am in the NE so have to travel to find a dealer anyway.

Devialet support is very helpful, but most of us on the forum have had our Devialets for at least a year - so we'll be able to get you sorted, should you get stuck.
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Excellent thank you again. My apologies for how I am posting the replies. Not sure how it all works yet.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I am particularly keen to hear from any users up in the North East.
Hi Womaz, I had all the same worries as you, esp headphones. Got my D200 yesterday and it's a dream!
Headphones configured from the pre out and sound fine (Audeze lcd3s) as for bass, well I was worried how I would connect my sub to the Dev but I don't need it now! It drives my Audio Physic Avanti IIIs effortlessly and has replaced £10000 worth of gear with no problem.
It's not perfect, I am still figuring out the best way to stream from my NAS, using a Sq box at the moment and have to admit it sounds great but I am sure there is a better way!
There is definitely a learning curve involved but I have found this forum quite helpful and I spent some time on the Dev site playing with the configuration tool before I took delivery.
Hope this helps a bit
@misterpete - Thats excellent, thank you very much.

I demoed the 250 this morning,...didnt even know there as one of those.
At very short notice dealer accomodated me, but a home demo is def needed. Used some Usher speakers, huge things and whilst they were good the bass was way too much for me. Started to really enjoy a track until the bass kicked in, and then it just overpowered everything. So they switched down to some Usher Diamonds?? and that improved things a lot, but still bass for me was too overpowering. I like a good tight hard bass. These sounded like a bloated bass.
I think the 23s I have are exactly the type of bass I like so I am looking forward to hearing it with them.
If the DSD solution is DoP, I am in. If not, I think my X100 is obsolete...
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(26-Feb-2015, 17:19)rwjr44 Wrote: If the DSD solution is DoP, I am in. If not, I think my X100 is obsolete...

I am pretty sure it will be.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
DoP ......and X100..............help. I have no idea what you are on about, but never mind.
(26-Feb-2015, 18:17)Womaz Wrote: DoP ......and X100..............help. I have no idea what you are on about, but never mind.

X100 refers to a model of Aurender:

http://www.aurender.com/page/x100

DoP (DSD over PCM) refers to a method for transferring DSD Audio over PCM Frames:

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-...-over-pcm/

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK