Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling
(28-Dec-2014, 01:13)Confused Wrote: Last time I spoke to a Devialet engineer he said UPnP was for printers, but they would be bringing out something better in spring 2015. I know others have been told UPnP is coming. Dialog? Who knows? For me I'd like something that optimised sound quality, but maybe had a bit of UPnP usability. Sound quality first? I hope Devialet keep this ethos.

Totally agree. SQ is the most important issue. Can a Dialog improve the SQ of our 'expert line'? I don't think so. Maybe it is about more functions and more convenient to play your music. Please correct me if I don't understand it well.
(28-Dec-2014, 01:13)Confused Wrote: Last time I spoke to a Devialet engineer he said UPnP was for printers, but they would be bringing out something better in spring 2015. I know others have been told UPnP is coming. Dialog? Who knows? For me I'd like something that optimised sound quality, but maybe had a bit of UPnP usability. Sound quality first? I hope Devialet keep this ethos.

Yes I've also heard the same line re UPnP and printers from Devialet.

There are many implementations of UPnP out there, some better than others. For e.g. a month or two ago I reported on the 3D Lab Nano Transport which had been reviewed by an owner of the totaldac d1 server and found to have a similar level of sound quality at a third of the price! So it can be done...

UPnP for the Devialet is definitely coming, I've heard this from a couple of reliable sources now Dodgy What isn't clear at this stage is whether it is contingent on having a Dialog box connected to our amp via USB. Perhaps next year an upgrade to the Devialet's wifi card will be announced enabling us to run Spark natively, or at least without the additional USB leg.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(27-Dec-2014, 17:49)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(26-Dec-2014, 06:22)madumm Wrote: For one, I do not wish to use uPNP but maybe a better implemented DLNA or use minimserver.
UPNP is thwart with security issues and I don't think it is good as a streaming access protocol to NAS since it does horrendous broadcasts over network. More like after thought.
I suggest to try minimserver instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi madumm, not too sure I understand your post. MinimServer is a UPnP AV music server... Smile

http://minimserver.com/features.html

Guillaume

My bad, yes you are right for minim. It is purpose built.
I do refer to those used in general like network detection on services and for some routers, open ports for devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27-Dec-2014, 09:33)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(27-Dec-2014, 00:10)mikehughescq Wrote: Not sure I've ever got my head around buying a product based on non-existent written promises of how that product will/might/could develop. I'm considering the Naim to DVLA leap bug my sole considerations are how it sounds now; the reduced box count and the existence of digital inputs to future proof to some extent. Have never found a product that is actually future proofed or endlessly upgradeable. Practically and logically it's impossible so why anyone would buy into it I have no idea. Basing purchase decisions based on discussions in forums - hmm.

Hi Mike,

I don't know about you but I put a lot more faith in the people on this forum than on what reviewers say. There are some genuine complainers and genuine happy chaps so you get a bit of both. the trick is to read between the lines.

Enjoy the chat room!Smile

Home dem is the only way to make a decision. I've a slightly different take on reviewers and forums. I think both reflect all human life; our different preferences and biases; our different ears. It suits some mags to bash forums and it suits some forums to bash mags. Doesn't mean either is better than the other and I'm not a fan of the smugness which often comes with the bashing.

That said, it's still beyond me why the OP made a purchase decision based on speculation.
(31-Dec-2014, 01:01)mikehughescq Wrote:
(27-Dec-2014, 09:33)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(27-Dec-2014, 00:10)mikehughescq Wrote: Not sure I've ever got my head around buying a product based on non-existent written promises of how that product will/might/could develop. I'm considering the Naim to DVLA leap bug my sole considerations are how it sounds now; the reduced box count and the existence of digital inputs to future proof to some extent. Have never found a product that is actually future proofed or endlessly upgradeable. Practically and logically it's impossible so why anyone would buy into it I have no idea. Basing purchase decisions based on discussions in forums - hmm.

Hi Mike,

I don't know about you but I put a lot more faith in the people on this forum than on what reviewers say. There are some genuine complainers and genuine happy chaps so you get a bit of both. the trick is to read between the lines.

Enjoy the chat room!Smile

Home dem is the only way to make a decision. I've a slightly different take on reviewers and forums. I think both reflect all human life; our different preferences and biases; our different ears. It suits some mags to bash forums and it suits some forums to bash mags. Doesn't mean either is better than the other and I'm not a fan of the smugness which often comes with the bashing.

That said, it's still beyond me why the OP made a purchase decision based on speculation.

Because it made sense. Because all this was very likely doable with the current hardware. It's only politics, marketing decisions and probably license fees that held back the product.

And it's kind of disappointing to see that most of the functionality I've been waiting for is now being offered in an entry level product while the D line hasn't seen any meaningful update in a while.
[/quote]
And it's kind of disappointing to see that most of the functionality I've been waiting for is now being offered in an entry level product while the D line hasn't seen any meaningful update in a while.
[/quote]

You bet I am not over the moon with this info plus that Dev sat aside us with D lines with all its glitches.

I start to think that we at this forum keeps most of this anger here instead of directing it to Devialet. Perhaps more of us here with 'issues' should write to Devialet so they start to understand what is going on?
Love my monos but that's about that the rest is just a big and growing bag of broken promises.
I am not surprised about this development as I sensed it already when the CEO sent out his e-letter to us owners.

Time for a mail storm to Dev/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
[/quote]

You bet I am not over the moon with this info plus that Dev sat aside us with D lines with all its glitches.

I start to think that we at this forum keeps most of this anger here instead of directing it to Devialet. Perhaps more of us here with 'issues' should write to Devialet so they start to understand what is going on?
Love my monos but that's about that the rest is just a big and growing bag of broken promises.
I am not surprised about this development as I sensed it already when the CEO sent out his e-letter to us owners.

Time for a mail storm to Dev/Mike
[/quote]

Hi

I am still unsure what which bits of functionality (Provided by the Dialog - which also works with D series) you are missing out on.

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(31-Dec-2014, 19:34)Gurux Wrote: And it's kind of disappointing to see that most of the functionality I've been waiting for is now being offered in an entry level product while the D line hasn't seen any meaningful update in a while.

Well it was only 6 months ago that we were offered the extra power, better sounding firmware and SAM. To me the combination amounted to a step change in sound quality.

Now thanks to the Dialog a whole new world of connectivity and online streaming will be offered to D users. Early reports (e.g. Computer Audiophile) suggest Spark is going to be excellent.

DSD is literally round the corner and will be made available more than likely in Munich. My guess is that there will be other announcements too. This company isn't standing still and is disrupting the hi-fi industry at breakneck speed.

Not too sure why we are being pessimistic here, seems like there is a lot to get excited about. Smile

Of course there are lots of bugs and unresolved issues which are very frustrating for some but on balance I think the overall picture is a pretty positive one.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The D platform has been around for a long time. And today, not next month, not at Munich, not next year, we are pretty much where we were when D Premier was launched. SAM does nothing for me (and I have the Duettes which are SAM enabled), my 240 was upgraded to an amazing 250W which, in the real life, is absolutely insignificant, no functionality was added, no room correction, no UPnP, no DSD (I'm not big on this one anyway) and I'm not sure why am I supposed to get excited about a Sonos - type system? There are loads on the market, at best this would be as good as some of the better ones.

But still with no infrared capabilities, no HDMI (so I wonder how the home cinema business is going to work over SPDIF - a bit like Sonos probably), with promised UPnP but I will believe it when I'll see it. As for the Phantoms themselves, no comment. They look a bit like the iPhone 5C from Apple if you know what I'm talking about. Lovely, just lovely.

From my point of view nothing has changed. Devialet has invested nothing further in my high end amp, instead it is now trying to appeal to the Sonos generation. Dialog is no different than Aries, Moon Mind and gazillions of other external solutions, meaning cables, power supplies, sockets, a lot more variables that do not play well with the "shortest path" philosophy.

I would like to connect my D amp to the internet and stream music from my NAS, I would like to have room calibration on board etc. It's all in my original post. I am not being pessimistic, I just don't see why I should enthuse about yet another external UPnP solution (and one that Devialet would charge me for), probably, considering the target and price, significantly inferior SQ-wise to what I am using right now.
The D platform has been around for a long time. And today, not next month, not at Munich, not next year, we are pretty much where we were when D Premier was launched.

So you bought a fantastic sounding amp that is cheaper than any other amp that sounds this good and it still sounds fantastic... That's fantastic!

Happy 2015
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.