Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling
(02-Jan-2015, 18:53)PhilP Wrote: An interesting thread and quite appropriately titled...

(02-Jan-2015, 13:15)gtiboy Wrote: ... The whole concept of Devialet was a one box device...

Well, actually it wasn't - it was always clear that Devialet expected customers to use a Mac as a source, so two box...

(02-Jan-2015, 13:15)gtiboy Wrote: When you see how well Naim have implemented the streaming side of things, uPnP, iRadio, The fact you have a USB port to insert USB sticks to play FLAC or WAV files. It's very convenient.

Really? In my opinion Naim have not done a good job of implemeting the streaming side of things. They have engineered their streamers in such a way as its necessary to purchase a very expensive external power supply to make them bearable to listen to; their poor UPnP discovery and half-baked app. has caused customers endless problems and the basic functionality is poor - they do not (even now) support lossless music streaming services. I really like the NDS and nearly bought one but it costs £13,000 with the 555PS Huh which is absurd given that by many accounts it is equalled/outperformed by a Mac Mini + Chord Hugo at about £2k.

I've had NO problems streaming via AIR either wi-fi or ethernet - no drop-outs, no white noise and no problems with the configurator. Devialet have delivered MORE than I expected - power upgrade + SAM and the value for money compared to products like those produced by Naim is amazing.

I very much hope that it is possible for Devialet to upgrade the 'Expert' series to include full streaming functionality but my system sounds great as it is and for now I'm a very happy customer Angel

No problems so far, of course you haven't gone mono yetWink Sometimes I dream myself back to my D200 days...

About Naim I can only agree. I only needed some source for streaming so I bought a Unitiserve (with 3rd party much better psu) as vinyl is my main source, but had lots of problem, rebooting all the time, can't play some downloads etc etc. I am very close to drop it and look for another same kind of solution.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(02-Jan-2015, 13:15)gtiboy Wrote: ... I too have sold my high end Naim system, looking at getting a SuperUniti instead due to the fact there isn't a proper streaming solution with the Devialet. All these external streamers are a compromise and makes the box count two plus more interconnects. The whole concept of Devialet was a one box device. So the merry go round starts again.

The 'one box' idea doesn't mean everything in a hi-fi system. A source or music is part of every other system, including Naim, who will push to sell you a UnitiServer, and some cables. Don't forget speakers and their cables; The box count, or component count, is variable depending on where you start and stop counting.

(02-Jan-2015, 13:15)gtiboy Wrote: When you see how well Naim have implemented the streaming side of things, uPnP, iRadio, The fact you have a USB port to insert USB sticks to play FLAC or WAV files. It's very convenient. But they don't do a single box solution that sounds as good as the Devialet does.

It's a shame Devialet haven't built their Devialet 120/200/250 with a built in streamer much like Naim's.

I agree, the convenience of an accessible USB port is very nice, and I'd like to see that on the Devialet. It makes it easy to play something quickly and easily, especially if a friend wants to bring over some music to play. The iRadio is excellent, and we'll miss that for sure. But currently we also need other boxes to get other streaming or internet radio services. But I know, and I'm sure others do as well, that it's not all sweetness and light. Hell, after two years we still start up the Naim app, and hold our breath until it actually connects. Because too often, it doesn't.

(02-Jan-2015, 13:15)gtiboy Wrote: The trouble with buying into Devialet right now is that it's a young company that's still developing their products so in a way it was expected with what happened when they brought out cheaper amps over the 250. I feel they are using you guys as guinea pigs to learn how to develop their product base and tailor it to what the customers needs.

Anyone buying into Devialet now has to expect this over the next few years. It's one of the reasons I haven't bought a D200 yet, it could get superseded or they could end up bringing out hardware updates for it, much like the D-Premier did where you have to pay for the change.

What's the trouble? Devialet is a young company, yes, and in three years has turned the audio world upside down; no small achievement. Many on this forum have turned in very expensive, extensive systems and opted for Devialet. That says something impressive about the company and its accomplishments. If new products aren't developed, the company will wither and die, and then there will be a bigger problem than simply having a model that has been superseded.

Expect existing owners to pay for the upgrades? What company doesn't? Ayre, Naim, all expect owners of older equipment to pay for upgrades, if they even offer that option. What consumer product does offer upgrades from old to new? Stoves (cookers)? Refrigerators? Cars? Bicycles? Computers? Skateboards? I'm not disagreeing with anyone about the inevitable aging of anything we buy today; I just don't see it as different than with any other product of this type.

You buy a computer or a camera today for what it does, based on your budget and needs. If we wait, then we do without the product until it changes to meet our needs. This is not a problem or factor with Devialet more than any other company or product. However, as a new, very innovative company, it may well be that Devialet products will change more so than the majority of audio products; buying in now still gets you a remarkable combination of qualities, and value.

If owners are having some difficulty with the performance of their products with connectivity or some other core performance issue, then I agree with you (all) that the most responsible action for Devialet is to help owners with those problems. But I hope you agree that whenever wireless connections are a factor there are many ways and places for problems to occur. As an ex-Naim owner I'm sure you will be familiar with the wide range of difficulties and possible solutions that we face. I've had a generous helping of those problems myself.

So, what about a D120 for now. In three years it will be an easy sell and the cost differential to the newer model will likely be less than some spiffy speaker wire.

Gents,

Does the post by Madumm (post #64) in the JRiver and Devialet thread give any insight into what the company is doing to address AIR issues?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Very thoughtful post, Damon!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Damon,

Thoughtful in so many points but the outset for me buying these units have not yet been fulfilled part from music making. Launching a new system and not managing to solve issues concerning D-series is for me not ok. I really do not care if they have been 3 years on the market or 2 days as long as they deliver and stand to their claims.
They better be burning that midnight oil 24/7.

I want to listen to music instead of writing e-mails to Devialet about this and that.

Dev should kiss this forums feet in gratitude for solving many issues.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
@thumb5; thanks very much for reading and the nice comment.

@Mikeeo; I do not disagree with you at all, and I don't think anyone should volunteer excuses for products that don't work as advertised. Forms such as this are extremely valuable for owners, and Devialet should also see it as a bonus; ideally they would participate. Naim, of course, has several members contribute to their own official forum, and here in North America FIAT has corporate members on several forums. Like Devialet, FIAT is new to this market (or with their return to this market). Anyhow, just thinking of a parallel to Devialet that supports your thought.

Southern Sweden? My wifes father comes from a bit farther north; Overtornea (missing the odd punctuation that I can't seem to find).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Quote:Southern Sweden? My wifes father comes from a bit farther north; Overtornea (missing the odd punctuation that I can't seem to find).

Damon, that is very far from me and more or less at the other end Wink

Övertorneå, I think...

My Raidho X1 arrives next week and I hope that the configurator will let me me have SAM without issues.

/Mike
The other end of Sweden indeed. A few degrees of latitude and a an afternoons drive in the country. But a beautiful one, to be sure. Nice keyboard work; I can't seem to find the extra punctuation in the current version of OSX. I must be spending too much time on this forum....

The Raidho is not a speaker that is easy to find here, but judged by the reports I've read, it is outstanding. I hope it is exactly that in your home.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
I think its easy to come up with some "misunderstood" loyalty to any brand we have used our money on IMO

For me it is a fact that i have used 15 000 gbp on my amplifier since the upgrade from D Premier,then i haven't calculated the loss when trade in my Naim Boxes Smile

Is it then to much to ask for that they use their energy to solve the problems we have on a already sold product ? or start to communicate where the road goes where it comes to future upgrades and possibilities,that was the hype and the reason for me to buy the D Premier in the first place

Another fact is that it seems they have hardly done anything but used their energy on new products and different customers ,maybe if they could start to communicate and tell us where they are going in the future with the D series ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(03-Jan-2015, 08:25)Petter Wrote: I think its easy to come up with some "misunderstood" loyalty to any brand we have used our money on IMO

For me it is a fact that i have used 15 000 gbp on my amplifier since the upgrade from D Premier,then i haven't calculated the loss when trade in my Naim Boxes Smile

Is it then to much to ask for that they use their energy to solve the problems we have on a already sold product ? or start to communicate where the road goes where it comes to future upgrades and possibilities,that was the hype and the reason for me to buy the D Premier in the first place

Another fact is that it seems they have hardly done anything but used their energy on new products and different customers ,maybe if they could start to communicate and tell us where they are going in the future with the D series ?

You know where I stand!

Anyone remember the e-mail send late June 2014 from the CEO of Devialet? I triggered me to send a very angry e-mail back to him however so far being unanswered.
The 'questionnaire' was a big joke and the answer choices one could fill out was only in positive spirit and no room from critique hence I wrote an answer to him. They also asked for suggestions but I saw very little of this in that questionnaire. It was the first time I realized that this will be a tough journey.
I was very frank in my mail response to him as this was clearly I first step to fulfill the hybris I sensed much earlier from Devialet. The questionnaire was so one eyed that the summoned view from us owners would only come out super positive, perfect for their marketing department, of course.

We where greeted with: "Devialet needs you" , mail below, for you that wasn't around at the time.

"Dear friend,

At Devialet we work tirelessly to bring you the best products ever made, and to ensure your experience with Devialet keeps improving over time. To achieve this, we regularly release free updates, and we hope you are happy with our recent software update, which brought you more power, more functionality and a brand new technology, SAM.

Of course, the best way for us to learn how to delight our customers is to hear from them directly, to get to know you and your views personally. Therefore, may we trouble you for a few moments of your time to fill in the attached questionnaire and give us your suggestions?

http://devialet.us4.list-manage.com/trac...82e55119d5

With sincere appreciation for being our customer, and for helping us now.

Quentin Sannié
CEO | Devialet"

Enjoy/Mike

(03-Jan-2015, 07:57)Damon Wrote: The other end of Sweden indeed. A few degrees of latitude and a an afternoons drive in the country. But a beautiful one, to be sure. Nice keyboard work; I can't seem to find the extra punctuation in the current version of OSX. I must be spending too much time on this forum....

The Raidho is not a speaker that is easy to find here, but judged by the reports I've read, it is outstanding. I hope it is exactly that in your home.

Damon, where are you by the way if Raidho is hard to find?

The other end of Sweden indeed and about 1000 miles away from me ie 1650 km, a looong afternoon.

I will report when the X1 start to settle. Next weekend will probably be my first listening session.

/Mike