Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations?
(30-Oct-2019, 17:48)alandbush Wrote:
(30-Oct-2019, 17:35)seb Wrote: As I just discovered. The OpenHome App seems to be overwhelmed by longer playlists and would sometimes simply stop working. It then needs to be restarted.

BubbleUPNP server can similarly enable Open home capability for media servers as well as renderers.
I cannot vouch if it is better at handling large play queues however.

I have just installed Bubble UPnP on my Mac successfully. Let's see how stable it is.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
First impression. Bubble UPnP is definitely more stable and comfortable then the OpenHome app. No hiccups so far even with long playlists.

(Temporary?) Verdict for a working and mostly reliable macOS / iOS solution:

Media server: Twonky
Media server add on for direct (shared) streaming of Tidal/Qobuz from the Mac mini server: Bubble UPnP (needs Java 8)
iOS control point: Lumin (alternatively Linn Kazoo)
macOS Control Point: Linn Kazoo (alternatively ?)

If this solution turns out to be stable and more more convenient than Spark, the first step is made for me to think about switching to DOS2 Wink

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(30-Oct-2019, 18:50)seb Wrote: First impression. Bubble UPnP is definitely more stable and comfortable then the OpenHome app. No hiccups so far even with long playlists.

Media server add on for direct (shared) streaming of Tidal/Qobuz from the Mac mini server: Bubble UPnP (needs Java 8)

If this solution turns out to be stable and more more convenient than Spark, the first step is made for me to think about switching to DOS2 Wink
Most interesting observing your trial. Any comments about sound quality?
(30-Oct-2019, 22:23)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(30-Oct-2019, 18:50)seb Wrote: First impression. Bubble UPnP is definitely more stable and comfortable then the OpenHome app. No hiccups so far even with long playlists.

Most interesting observing your trial. Any comments about sound quality?

I was not able to thoroughly compare yet. But Lumin and Linn Kazoo show that the unaltered original files are streamed. So my guess is that they are as good as the Phantoms are able to handle those type of files via UPnP. I am not a technician, but it seems there is very little interference (if at all) in this workflow. I could not make out any differences vs. Spark. I would really give it a try and test it for your own (if this an option you consider). The advantage of still being on DOS1 is that you can easily compare. I will run this solution for a while and then make a decision. Maybe it is better to wait until "native" streaming will become a reality in DOS2. Then the switch would be even easier. Nevertheless you would need some type of control point app that replaces Spark. So "testing" the waters might be a good idea anyway.

Found a big difference in sound quality between Spark & Tidal and MinimServer with convolution room correction. Even without convolution, the differences were audible. Same music, my NAS copy may have different master to Tidal CD quality track. The differences were heard by friends as well.

Looking forward to reading about your comparisons.
(30-Oct-2019, 12:53)seb Wrote: You are right, probably I will have to test Audirvana. I would really love to hear if somebody is running this solution.
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...6#pid87676
Based on above thread:
@KarlMarx and @P. Fegerle are using Audirvana and UPnP with their Phantoms.  Can you help @seb ?
(31-Oct-2019, 01:02)Snoopy8 Wrote: Found a big difference in sound quality between Spark & Tidal and MinimServer with convolution room correction. Even without convolution, the differences were audible. Same music, my NAS copy may have different master to Tidal CD quality track.  The differences were heard by friends as well.

Looking forward to reading about your comparisons.

Insights after day two:

Today I had a little time to compare. Unfortunately, my Phantoms are not placed in an acoustically optimized situation. I tested Spark from my server with TIDAL as well as HiRes files stored on the server vs. Twonky/Bubble UPnP/Lumin&Linn Kazoo from the very same server. I have to admit I have trouble recognizing any discernible difference. There might be some, but right now I could not tell if it is an illusion. Would need to do blind tests with calibrated /measured volume levels. I think it is a good start however.

Regarding stability I have some issues with playlists stopping between songs or Lumin losing the connection to OpenHome->Phantom when opened (music would still play though). This only happened when I did not attend my iPad for a while. These issues are more software related (Linn Kazoo and the "new" Linn app which is in Beta test are even more reliable) and I guess they will be resolved over time (some people reported issues with Lumin as well, but many others could not reproduce the "disconnect"). The solution for Lumin is simply to "swipe up" = close the app and reopen it and it works again. Linn Kazoo as well as Lumin have their merits. If you have a large music library I would tend to go for Lumin which is faster (it caches the library structure) while the Linn interface is a bit cleaner. But I guess it is a matter of taste. The good thing with an OpenHome server solution, as I learned, is that the stream is managed at the server level. Playlists are shared, you can access from whatever control point (comparable to Spark) and Tidal/Qobuz are streamed from the server (comparable to Spark and not ping-ponged to/from a mobile device). At least we have these options available which are for free! So I am grateful that other manufacturers share the work they put into the development of these apps.

I am really tempted to switch to DOS2 (especially as I have two Phantom White which would gain a power boost via firmware upgrade), but I guess it is smarter to hold on for a while.

(01-Nov-2019, 02:00)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(30-Oct-2019, 12:53)seb Wrote: You are right, probably I will have to test Audirvana. I would really love to hear if somebody is running this solution.
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...6#pid87676
Based on above thread:
@KarlMarx and @P. Fegerle are using Audirvana and UPnP with their Phantoms.  Can you help @seb ?

I would be really interested to hear. Right now I am hesitant to spend additional money for Audirvana as long as the free solution I am testing is working well enough. I already have an Amarra + Remote License, but Amarra does not support UPnP and the Remote App is not very responsive at all. So using Amarra on a server with optical connection to Dialog is also not the solution I have hoped for.

How do you use Kazoo or Lumin app with Phantoms ?

If I install one of those in iphone, they see my UPnP servers and music, but do not see Devialet and keep searching Linn or Lumin device respectively ?

With mconnect I'm able to select Phantoms (Airplay ?), but none of those apps have internet radio/vtuner (as does Naim app).
(03-Nov-2019, 11:45)suur13 Wrote: How do you use Kazoo or Lumin app with Phantoms ?

If I install one of those in iphone, they see my UPnP servers and music, but do not see Devialet and keep searching Linn or Lumin device respectively ?

With mconnect I'm able to select Phantoms (Airplay ?), but none of those apps have internet radio/vtuner (as does Naim app).
mConnect uses UPnP. 

Linn Kazoo and Lumin uses OpenHome and require a server which does both UPnP and OpenHome to manage handshake to Phantom.