Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP & macOS / iOS recommendations?
(04-Nov-2019, 19:02)pikachu Wrote: But one thing which is not clear over here is that do I need my MacBook to be turned on and running all the time if I have to use the remote on my iOS devices. @alandbush do you happen to know this answer?

The Audirvana remote runs in a similar way to Mconnect as both are media controllers.

They control a media server and media renderer, both functions performed by the macOS Audirvana.

To remove any doubt the app description follows.

[attachment=3682]
[quote pid='87862' dateline='1572858808']
(04-Nov-2019, 08:41)suur13 Wrote: Thanks. Local files now work. But still no internet radio (even if I sign in to TuneIn in Kazoo server or install minimstreamer plugin on minimserver) in Kazoo app.
For MinimStreamer, please have a look at this for internet radio
https://minimstreamer.com/userguide.html...%20streams
If you run into problems with it, join the MinimServer forum. Simon, the developer is helpful and responsive.
[/quote]

Thank you !

It works indeed. Even when BubbleUPnP, Linn and minimserver interfaces looks glumsier and less clean than Spark (I can't belive I said that after all those years... Smile), they work and react faster.
I use VLC on Iphone. I can play Internet Radio and it can also connect to my music collection on the NAS and play it Phantom.
Happy to report that Audirvana works perfectly with UPnP plus Im finally installing Sonarworks room correction on it. I think this is the easiest upgrade one can get. Until we get ROON compatibility, this will be my player.
Im running it on dedicated MacMini connected to a pair of Phantom Gold's via ethernet. I have my own Hi-Res music library so I don't use Tidal or others but it has that option for those that use them.
(05-Nov-2019, 05:09)KarlMarx Wrote: Happy to report that Audirvana works perfectly with UPnP plus Im finally installing Sonarworks room correction on it. I think this is the easiest upgrade one can get. Until we get ROON compatibility, this will be my player.
Im running it on dedicated MacMini connected to a pair of Phantom Gold's via ethernet. I have my own Hi-Res music library so I don't use Tidal or others but it has that option for those that use them.

Cool, that is good news. How good is the Audirvana Remote app if I may ask? Is it responsive or does it lag? Does it need time until Albums/Content is loaded or is it instantly available? The reason I am asking.  I made some less then promising experiences with Amarra Remote. I have the feeling the latter is nothing but a pimped browser interface and not a native app controlling Amarra. Unfortunately you cannot test Audirvana Remote without buying it.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(04-Nov-2019, 22:40)alandbush Wrote: The Audirvana remote runs in a similar way to Mconnect as both are media controllers.

They control a media server and media renderer, both functions performed by the macOS Audirvana.

To remove any doubt the app description follows.

Just downloaded the Audirvana remote app and can now say confidently that it doesn't work if your Mac is not up and running with the Audirvana app running in background. Mconnect on other side does not need any assistance from Mac/other app to play your music through upnp.
(05-Nov-2019, 09:23)pikachu Wrote: Just downloaded the Audirvana remote app and can now say confidently that it doesn't work if your Mac is not up and running with the Audirvana app running in background. Mconnect on other side does not need any assistance from Mac/other app to play your music through upnp.

If you are only streaming Tidal via Mconnect then no media server is required, I.e. no Mac, and why Mconnect works in isolation.

Audirvana remote presumably is unable to stream Tidal alone.  So it appears to be an extension of Audirvana pc software which does enable Tidal access.  My apologies if I provided incorrect information.

However, If you should want to access audio files stored on the Mac, via Mconnect, then the MacBook will need to be powered on just as with Audirvana remote.
Update regarding my setup and experiences/recommendations

Phantoms & Dialog are now on DOS2.

Server (Web->Server->Phantoms):
Bubble UPnP & Minim Server on a Mac mini - works reliably and would not use too many resources (both use JAVA 8). I did also test Twonky successfully.
I use it with TIDAL. I have not been able to create a playlist of my favorite Internet Radio stations as I could not find the right URL's, but it is possible to do so.

Control Point:
macOS - Linn Kazoo seems to be the only OpenHome capable Control Point App for macOS
iOS Local Library incl. TIDAl & Qobuz Streams - Lumin & Linn Kazoo. I have them both installed. They work well and have very different approaches in their user interfaces.
iOS Local Library only - fidata, quite clean user interface. An alternative might be Glider (I have not tested it though).

As an alternative with a different flow (Web->Phone->Phantoms) which also supports UPnP Servers (no need for the Bubble UPnP add on)

Server/Control Point/Renderer
mConnect

I tested a lot (!) of iOS control point apps so this is what finally stayed on my devices. Please feel free to comment and share your experiences. I guess this will stay a hot topic for a while as DOS2 currently does not offer integrated stream of TIDAL etc.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
Have you tried iPeng?

I have iPeng on our iOS devices and use it to control my two phantoms. Both upgraded to DOS2 now.

ipeng has radios and can stream tidal etc.
Works great for me and accesses my server library files as well.

I connect phantoms to my innuos zen mini via optical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-Nov-2019, 22:53)tsmithpam Wrote: Have you tried iPeng?

I have iPeng on our iOS devices and use it to control my two phantoms. Both upgraded to DOS2 now.

ipeng has radios and can stream tidal etc.
Works great for me and accesses my server library files as well.

I connect phantoms to my innuos zen mini via optical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. No I have not tried it. As far as I understand I would need a squeezebox setup on my Mac mini. Is there any way to go via UPnP instead of optical?