Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Phantom volume control options
[quote pid='79674' dateline='1541730672']
I've removed the dialog and replaced it with a Yamaha WXC-50 hooked up via an active optical splitter to two white phantoms each configured in direct optical mode.

I chose the WXC-50 as it was the only cost effective solution I could find to give me volume control in the digital domain. Other advantage is that the audio delay has been reduced dramatically. 
[/quote]

Very nice solution. If i could get loss of the optical cables i would also go for that solution. right now my phantoms are direct in the room and i don´t want more visible cables or devices on the floor.
I just want to understand...
With the optical splitter both Phantoms will sound like they are 2 mono speakers.
The clock inside each phantom can't be sync to the other phantom...
Please excuse my poor reputation
(09-Nov-2018, 18:24)daibaron Wrote: I just want to understand...
With the optical splitter  both Phantoms will sound like they are 2 mono speakers.

Not if you activate the "Optical Direct" mode and set each to channels L and R, respectively.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
Has anyone tried using two Google Chromecast Audio instead of a splitter?
(10-Nov-2018, 17:38)fgleason Wrote: Has anyone tried using two Google Chromecast Audio instead of a splitter?

I don't believe you can choose to only stream left or right channel with CC Audio. Would be two mixed speakers and no one stereo.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(10-Nov-2018, 18:30)ragwo Wrote:
(10-Nov-2018, 17:38)fgleason Wrote: Has anyone tried using two Google Chromecast Audio instead of a splitter?

I don't believe you can choose to only stream left or right channel with CC Audio. Would be two mixed speakers and no one stereo.

I read the previous post by DesertEagleAZ as the choice of left or right was done with the Devialet software and did not have to be done by CC. I don't have a setup I can test with so I could be wrong in that assumption.
(10-Nov-2018, 19:10)fgleason Wrote:
(10-Nov-2018, 18:30)ragwo Wrote:

I read the previous post by DesertEagleAZ as the choice of left or right was done with the Devialet software and did not have to be done by CC. I don't have a setup I can test with so I could be wrong in that assumption.

Of course you're right, my mistake. I'll try it tomorrow if I can get hold of an iDevice.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(09-Nov-2018, 03:31)jcd1877 Wrote: I've removed the dialog and replaced it with a Yamaha WXC-50 hooked up via an active optical splitter to two white phantoms each configured in direct optical mode.

I chose the WXC-50 as it was the only cost effective solution I could find to give me volume control in the digital domain. Other advantage is that the audio delay has been reduced dramatically. 

This system is now integrated into my universal remote as the WXC-50 uses a IR transmitter. It also comes with the Musiccast App that allows full control from a phone/tablet.

And the Phantoms respect the volume they get from the WXC-50? But, how? Wouldn’t it have to upsample, then re-encode the volume-adjusted stream for output? Does it really do that?
(13-Nov-2018, 12:24)antilles Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 03:31)jcd1877 Wrote: I've removed the dialog and replaced it with a Yamaha WXC-50 hooked up via an active optical splitter to two white phantoms each configured in direct optical mode.

This system is now integrated into my universal remote as the WXC-50 uses a IR transmitter. It also comes with the Musiccast App that allows full control from a phone/tablet.

And the Phantoms respect the volume they get from the WXC-50? But, how? Wouldn’t it have to upsample, then re-encode the volume-adjusted stream for output? Does it really do that?

The WXC-50 has two modes, one as a player only where the digital out is fixed like any typical source, the other is as a pre-amp where volume is controlled by the WXC-50. In pre-amp mode, yes, the volume is controlled in the digital domain. The spec's quote it as "48-bit digital volume control".

I'm no digital genius, but I know it works!!
(13-Nov-2018, 22:54)jcd1877 Wrote:
(13-Nov-2018, 12:24)antilles Wrote:

The WXC-50 has two modes, one as a player only where the digital out is fixed like any typical source, the other is as a pre-amp where volume is controlled by the WXC-50. In pre-amp mode, yes, the volume is controlled in the digital domain. The spec's quote it as "48-bit digital volume control".

I'm no digital genius, but I know it works!!

Do you know if any sound quality is lost with your setup? I also have the Yamaha wxc 50 and I would like to connect the gold so I can have multiroom. Have you tried that?

Skickat från min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk