Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using D Prem as preamp
Help!
So i got a Pass Labs XA 30.5 and want to try it to power my Sonus Faber Olypmica 3.
I have configured the Digital Outputs for Pre-Amplified and turned off the Speaker outputs, but no sound.
any suggestions?
Really want to try the Pass.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
I don't have an ODA but you might try removing your SD card then restart the unit in default mode and try again. Your configuration might be corrupted so you could try reinstalling a configuration after reformatting the SD card using a program such as SD Card Formatter not you computers formatting function. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
This is not with the ODA but with a DP
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
George, can you please post a screen shot of your config?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Got it working.
So apart from assigning the digital inputs as the stereo pre amp outputs, you also need to configure the R button on the remote as pre amplified.
Then after you power on your dev. you press the r button on the remote and the screen show pre
Will seek to post a picture.
Enjoying my bedroom system now, using the pass xa 30.5 as the power amp.
Using the dp as pre, dac. Phono and streamer.
Hope this helps anyone else who battled with this.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
Interesting to a comparison between the D and the Pass power amplifier.
(28-Mar-2020, 09:40)georgev Wrote: Got it working.
So apart from assigning the digital inputs as the stereo pre amp outputs, you also need to configure the R button on the remote as pre amplified.
Then after you power on your dev. you press the r button on the remote and the screen show pre

It should be possible to make the pre-out work by default after start-up, so you don't have to use the remote control to enable it. Take a look at the "Startup mode" option in General Settings in the configurator: you should be able to select "Sub/preout" to enable it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Will try that on the startup mode.
Enjoying the pass, and playing around with it comparing to the d.
Lockdown, so have some time.
The pass needs time to warm up, but it is really good.
Vocals, guitar, piano is great.
Think I’m leaning towards it a wee more?
But the d is no slouch.
I do think my Od’A and G2’s trump it, but hey in the bedroom I’m quite pleased now.
Got the pass and had to try it.
The d is fantastic as it offers me the pre, dac, streamer and phono in one box.
Going to try another pre later as well, with the pass, and with the d as power.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
Since your speakers are supporting bi-wiring / bi-amp, you could try running bi amplified by both the D Premier and the Pass Lab.

I would personally try the D Premier driving the bass and therefore would configure the pre out as high pass with a cut off frequency of 250 Hz which is the cross over of the Olympica.
The Pass Lab would then drive the medium and highs, which would also be compatible with the fact that it is delivering 60W on 4ohms while the D-premier is capable of 160W at 4ohms.

Just an idea

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
i shall certainly be trying that.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.