Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Verry bad service Devialet
mmm, I don't agree with their policies and processes but the reality is that I like the phantoms too much to sell them in case they break in the future :-)

I signed up for home insurance just now and it will cover accidental damage to my phantoms too :-)
But the problem is that if after the warranty period, there is a technical problem arises not under an insurance repair is not possible and you are always dependent on buying a new phantom.
(02-Mar-2017, 12:37)aad Wrote: But the problem is that if after the warranty period, there is a technical problem arises not under an insurance repair is not possible and you are always dependent on buying a new phantom.

This is very concerning...I've emailed Devialet for confirmation as I'm considering buying 2 Phantoms and a Dialog in the next few months. I'll post any reply I receive from the company.
i have been aware of that challenge.

One possible solution if Devialet continues to be unable to repair is to promise to sell existing owner a replacement at their dealer's net pricing. That way if one has to purchase a replacement, it takes the price down a notch.
(18-Mar-2017, 16:46)MountainGuy Wrote: i have been aware of that challenge.

One possible solution if Devialet continues to be unable to repair is to promise to sell existing owner a replacement at their dealer's net pricing.  That way if one has to purchase a replacement, it takes the price down a notch.

They will have to make an extremely enticing offer (in writing) for me to make a purchase if the terms are no repairs after the warranty expires. If it's true it would have to be industry accommodation pricing (50 percent off retail) before I'd consider it...even then, I'm not sure...I may be looking elsewhere for a new hifi.
I've received confirmation from Devialet support that they cannot restore the Phantom's original performance if the Phantom's case has to be opened at the factory so any unit that requires service due to a mechanical or electrical defect must be replaced instead. We didn't get into specifics but it does appear to be due to the pressurized volume.

Relevant bits from their email below:

"The Phantom themselves are not repairable. Due to the manufacturing process which seals the Phantom with one ton of pressure we are unable to take the Phantom apart, and put it together again and still deliver an amazing quality of sound. At this time you would be required to purchase a new Phantom unless the previous Phantom is subscribed to the Devialetcare."

I've also asked for and received some clarification about their warranty for Phantoms and here's what I've confirmed: Without their extended warranty service called "Devialet Care" they will replace a mechanically or electrically defective unit within the two year standard factory warranty. This standard factory warranty will NOT cover accidental damage however.

If however you purchase the Devialet Care (at $299 here in the US) *and* also dish out an additional $239 US per incident for any mechanical, electrical or accidental damage claim they will replace the unit with a new one during the warranty period which is now extended covering a total of three years from the date of purchase. You are still limited to a total of two incident claims during this extended three year period known as Devialet Care.

Though their in-warranty repair (replacement more accurately) is reasonable, we are left holding the bag so to speak after year two or three depending on whether we stuck with the factory warranty or chose the extended warranty with paying full price if a unit dies and we've used up our two replacement options. When I mentioned this, their support person did stress the importance of contacting them should this happen regardless so I would hope this is a sign they'd work with us. I'm still waiting for confirmation that if I purchase two Phantoms, one Dialog and one Devialet Care policy with one transaction that this single policy would cover either Phantom in case of disaster. Once I receive confirmation I'll post the company's reply.

regards,

dave
Wow, it's been designed in such a way that it can't even be opened to be repaired!

Ok, so there's insured type repairs, but what about the environmental aspect?

I guess there's going to be a huge pile of Phantoms in landfills in years to come. Sadly, it's the way consumer electronics has gone across the board. Not even just electronics. Cheaper to throw everything away and buy new. But if course it's only cheaper financially, all this waste has the potential to be our undoing....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Mar-2017, 09:24)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Wow, it's been designed in such a way that it can't even be opened to be repaired!  

Ok, so there's insured type repairs, but what about the environmental aspect?

I guess there's going to be a huge pile of Phantoms in landfills in years to come. Sadly, it's the way consumer electronics has gone across the board. Not even just electronics. Cheaper to throw everything away and buy new. But if course it's only cheaper financially, all this waste has the potential to be our undoing....

I don't think the problem is opening it but sealing it back up after it's been opened.

I agree with you concerning environmental responsibility. Hopefully they recycle what they can from defective units and use those parts building the replacement units.
I just got the devialet care package for both of my phantoms.  It's 299/each phantom and you can replace each phantom twice (after paying the 300+ deductible).   Of course any of the replacements have to occur within three years of purchase.   Not happy about it but I wanted to fix a large dent in one of my phantoms and was forced to get the extended warranty just to get a replacement,  otherwise I keep the damaged phantom or buy a new one.   Sorry guys that's the only solution they have.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for clarifying Ryu79. Can't say I'm happy about this news but it is what it is.