Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12
(27-Feb-2019, 13:29)kinver Wrote:
(27-Feb-2019, 10:51)P. Fegerle Wrote:
(27-Feb-2019, 07:34)IRSI Wrote: I noticed the same issue! The downgrade from 13.1.3 to 13.0.0 works but the DOS doesn't downgrade. It stays at 2.2.4!! So it looks like we can't go back to DOS 2.2.2. After downgrading I can't play with Roon. The player says that the device is in use!
At Devialet they look into the possibility of a downgrade to DOS 2.2.2, it´s not as easy as it looks like, the chief engineer told me - just to let you know.

Thanks for information. Just have to wait and see then..
I'm curios! Thank you..
(26-Feb-2019, 23:47)iamwappie Wrote:
(19-Feb-2019, 09:04)awkaplan Wrote:
(18-Feb-2019, 23:33)David A Wrote: That hasn't happened here, either with Tidal or with music streamed from my own library. I have streamed music from my library at a variety of FLAC resolutions and also DSD64.

Haven't noticed this at all.  Just had some minor issues with ROON yesterday and today (showing a song playing with no audio heard; slow searching and browsing).  Trying to reconfigure my network to use Google DNS, which allegedly alleviates some of these issues.
It happens only with DSP on. I convert to DSD. Over AIR not an issue but over RAAT the first part of a track is not audible

Yes, I'm still having the same issue (first second or so of track is clipped) and have also noticed some distortion when increasing or decreasing the volume using the ROON remote app.  Resetting my wireless router fixed the distortion issue today.  So far, RAAT has been almost flawless, with AIR a very close second.  I really wish the Devialet could display the dBm wireless signal value in one of the settings menus; the engineers have confirmed there is no way to retrieve the signal strength value from the Devialet.  Slowly tweaking my small wireless network to perfection.
(28-Feb-2019, 02:48)awkaplan Wrote:
(26-Feb-2019, 23:47)iamwappie Wrote:
(19-Feb-2019, 09:04)awkaplan Wrote: Haven't noticed this at all.  Just had some minor issues with ROON yesterday and today (showing a song playing with no audio heard; slow searching and browsing).  Trying to reconfigure my network to use Google DNS, which allegedly alleviates some of these issues.
It happens only with DSP on. I convert to DSD. Over AIR not an issue but over RAAT the first part of a track is not audible

Yes, I'm still having the same issue (first second or so of track is clipped) and have also noticed some distortion when increasing or decreasing the volume using the ROON remote app.  Resetting my wireless router fixed the distortion issue today.  So far, RAAT has been almost flawless, with AIR a very close second.  I really wish the Devialet could display the dBm wireless signal value in one of the settings menus; the engineers have confirmed there is no way to retrieve the signal strength value from the Devialet.  Slowly tweaking my small wireless network to perfection.

Agreed, some way to see the signal strength would help a lot with setting up decent WiFi.

I used InSSIDer on my laptop to check the strength of the WiFi in the area of the devialet as the best estimate.  It also helps finding the clearest channel to use.

I’m actually using a dedicated WiFi access point at 5Ghz for the Devialet which only it uses, done by using a Netgear EX7300 wireless extender as an access point connected to the main network by Ethernet.  Everything is connected to the same router so it all sees each other no problem.  This has so far been rock solid and since the move to RAAT it happily streams anything including DSD or 24/192.

I’ve probably made too many changes at the same time to be 100% but I’m pretty certain that the sound is no worse than Ethernet at least.

Cheers

Chris
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(28-Feb-2019, 06:19)Chris Marshall Wrote:
(28-Feb-2019, 02:48)awkaplan Wrote:
(26-Feb-2019, 23:47)iamwappie Wrote: It happens only with DSP on. I convert to DSD. Over AIR not an issue but over RAAT the first part of a track is not audible

Agreed, some way to see the signal strength would help a lot with setting up decent WiFi.

I used InSSIDer on my laptop to check the strength of the WiFi in the area of the devialet as the best estimate.  It also helps finding the clearest channel to use.

I’m actually using a dedicated WiFi access point at 5Ghz for the Devialet which only it uses, done by using a Netgear EX7300 wireless extender as an access point connected to the main network by Ethernet.  Everything is connected to the same router so it all sees each other no problem.  This has so far been rock solid and since the move to RAAT it happily streams anything including DSD or 24/192.

I’ve probably made too many changes at the same time to be 100% but I’m pretty certain that the sound is no worse than Ethernet at least.

Cheers

Chris

Smart moves.  Unfortunately, using the internal wireless chipset of a laptop or mobile device is a poor indicator of the strength of the signal received by the Devialet, partly due to the Devialet's antenna placement (underneath the metal cover) and general disposition.  I've tried to get chipset and other specs from Devialet, but was simply told (as is stated in the help section) to aim for a signal stronger than -55dBm.  Wireshark seems to identify the chipset as coming from Foxconn. 

The provided router/fiber gateway from AT&T actually provides the RSSI (well, in dBm) of clients and pretty sophisticated packet statistics.  It's a shame that it has a garbage internal antenna and is generally inferior to even the most budget of budget wireless routers.  I was getting -65dBm +/- when using it about 5m from the Devialet with a direct, unobstructed line of sight. 

After disappointment with a much more expensive Netgear Nighthawk with four antennae and the whole works (the router software is criminal), I went back to using the provided wireless gateway briefly (a 3x3 dual band), placing all devices on the 2.4ghz radio (set to 50% power) except for the Devialet, which held the 5ghz channel to itself (100% power).  It worked, but would seemingly cause an "overload" every day or two, requiring a reset of the 5ghz radio.

On a whim, I picked up a fairly basic AC1200 Nighthawk this time, low enough power draw to use an ultra-low-noise wall wart, but has "beamforming" for what it's worth and two external antennas, QoS, and so on.  Same uninformative firmware, and non-DD-WRT compatible.  I shut the gateway radios off and attached the new Nighthawk, replacing the ethernet cables connected to the gateway with shielded Cat6a from Blue Jeans (including from the fiber access point to the gateway) and plugging my ROON NUC into the Nighthawk with an AQ Pearl 0.75m for the time being.  I have this little network cluster raised somewhat but tucked away in a utility closet obstructed by a thin door, against better advice.                 

I have relatively few wireless devices—Nest thermostat, laptop, iPhone, Devialet.  I threw everything except the Devialet on 2.4, Devialet on 5 fixed on channel 161, and it seems to just work, particularly with RAAT (save for the occasional cutoff of the start of a track).  Devialet and NUC are given QoS priority.  That said, it seems all I can do is monitor packets with Wireshark or ping and check for packet loss to estimate the health of the network, besides using my ears.  ROON remote works quickly, but I do get the occasional stutter if I use AIR. 

I may look for a DD-WRT compatible router if I'll be able to get the statistics I want (packet loss tracking, signal strength of client), plus the added ability to auto-reboot daily to stay fresh.  I haven't been able to compare ethernet to wifi sound quality, but prefer the sound of wifi over AIR/RAAT to the USB input using AQ Cinnamon.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can judge the quality of my wifi situation, I'm open to them.
(27-Feb-2019, 07:34)IRSI Wrote:
(26-Feb-2019, 21:14)kinver Wrote: My impression of firmware 13.1.3 – dos 2.2.4 (Audirvana - Air WiFi - Devialet) is a little more clarity and “see through”, in addition more “tightened up” in the bass. But unfortunately tonal colors and musicality are gone, no fun listening. Especially on classical music these characteristics are evident.
I tried “downgrading” to 13.0.0 – dos 2.2.2, and got the message that it was successful, but Air did not work after downgrading. So something must have been (permanently) changed during the installation of 13.1.3. Unfortunately I am not aware of any method to do a “clean install” of earlier firmware?
I noticed the same issue! The downgrade from 13.1.3 to 13.0.0 works but the DOS doesn't downgrade. It stays at 2.2.4!! So it looks like we can't go back to DOS 2.2.2. After downgrading I can't play with Roon. The player says that the device is in use!

Hi. I have tried, as an experiment, and successfully downgraded from 13.1.3/2.2.4 back to 12.3.0/2.2.2, then upgraded again from 12.3.0/2.2.2 to 13.1.3/2.2.4. Not sure you can do it with the same result. But if yes, you can move from 13.1.3/2.2.4 to 12.3.0/2.2.2 then to 13.0.0/2.2.2 IF it is what you wanted.  Shy Shy

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet-Expert-Firmware-Archive

FYI, I am using 440PRO CI.
(28-Feb-2019, 14:53)G51 Wrote:
(27-Feb-2019, 07:34)IRSI Wrote:
(26-Feb-2019, 21:14)kinver Wrote: My impression of firmware 13.1.3 – dos 2.2.4 (Audirvana - Air WiFi - Devialet) is a little more clarity and “see through”, in addition more “tightened up” in the bass. But unfortunately tonal colors and musicality are gone, no fun listening. Especially on classical music these characteristics are evident.
I tried “downgrading” to 13.0.0 – dos 2.2.2, and got the message that it was successful, but Air did not work after downgrading. So something must have been (permanently) changed during the installation of 13.1.3. Unfortunately I am not aware of any method to do a “clean install” of earlier firmware?
I noticed the same issue! The downgrade from 13.1.3 to 13.0.0 works but the DOS doesn't downgrade. It stays at 2.2.4!! So it looks like we can't go back to DOS 2.2.2. After downgrading I can't play with Roon. The player says that the device is in use!

Hi. I have tried, as an experiment, and successfully downgraded from 13.1.3/2.2.4 back to 12.3.0/2.2.2, then upgraded again from 12.3.0/2.2.2 to 13.1.3/2.2.4. Not sure you can do it with the same result. But if yes, you can move from 13.1.3/2.2.4 to 12.3.0/2.2.2 then to 13.0.0/2.2.2 IF it is what you wanted.  Shy Shy

I have just tried this, but it doesn't work for my Devialet 250 PRO!  Sad It still remains DOS 2.2.4
(28-Feb-2019, 16:23)IRSI Wrote:
(28-Feb-2019, 14:53)G51 Wrote:
(27-Feb-2019, 07:34)IRSI Wrote: I noticed the same issue! The downgrade from 13.1.3 to 13.0.0 works but the DOS doesn't downgrade. It stays at 2.2.4!! So it looks like we can't go back to DOS 2.2.2. After downgrading I can't play with Roon. The player says that the device is in use!

I have just tried this, but it doesn't work for my Devialet 250 PRO!  Sad It still remains DOS 2.2.4
Hello, it's too bad. But don't give up. Hope you still have time and patience to try this - turn 250 off, take out the SD card, turn on your 250 again and (if my memory serves me right, then it will) go to the factory mode. Then erase all the content in your SD card, format it (or use another SD card) again save the 12.3.0/2.2.2 to the card, put the card back into the 250 and turn it on and see if it could go back to ..../2.2.2. You may wish to unplug and plug again the power cord between the above steps to increase the chance that the 250 would forget the original setting (2.2.4) in it. It needs a little patience but it won't hurt, right!? Shy Shy Shy Shy Shy Shy

Hope this help! Good luck pal.
I was not impressed with Tidal prior to the firmware update, it was not even close to the files on my NAS. Since the firmware, the sound from Tidal is very good,  and fairly close to the files on my NAS, interesting.
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari. 
(28-Feb-2019, 16:39)G51 Wrote:
(28-Feb-2019, 16:23)IRSI Wrote:
(28-Feb-2019, 14:53)G51 Wrote: Hi. I have tried, as an experiment, and successfully downgraded from 13.1.3/2.2.4 back to 12.3.0/2.2.2, then upgraded again from 12.3.0/2.2.2 to 13.1.3/2.2.4. Not sure you can do it with the same result. But if yes, you can move from 13.1.3/2.2.4 to 12.3.0/2.2.2 then to 13.0.0/2.2.2 IF it is what you wanted.  Shy Shy

Hello, it's too bad. But don't give up. Hope you still have time and patience to try this - turn 250 off, take out the SD card, turn on your 250 again and (if my memory serves me right, then it will) go to the factory mode. Then erase all the content in your SD card, format it (or use another SD card) again save the 12.3.0/2.2.2 to the card, put the card back into the 250 and turn it on and see if it could go back to ..../2.2.2. You may wish to unplug and plug again the power cord between the above steps to increase the chance that the 250 would forget the original setting (2.2.4) in it. It needs a little patience but it won't hurt, right!? Shy Shy Shy Shy Shy Shy

Hi!
No chance to downgrade DOS to 2.2.2! I have tried everything you wrote above for several times!
(28-Feb-2019, 18:43)IRSI Wrote:
(28-Feb-2019, 16:39)G51 Wrote:
(28-Feb-2019, 16:23)IRSI Wrote: I have just tried this, but it doesn't work for my Devialet 250 PRO!  Sad It still remains DOS 2.2.4

Hi!
No chance to downgrade DOS to 2.2.2! I have tried everything you wrote above for several times!

That's the answer from Devialet support: 

I confirmed that Downgrade is not available for DOS. For firmware, it can be downgraded to 13.0.0.
Please noted that we don't recommend to downgrade as we won't be able to provide any support on older software/DOS versions.

Have a nice day!