Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What now with Dialog?
I migrated to DOS2 yesterday and so far so good. The set up process was so much more straight forward than my experience originally via spark. Sounds great still and I have two upgraded classic phantoms in stereo. I connect to my innuos via optical and play local files and stream tidal using iPeng. Works well so far.

What now for dialog? I left to last as Devialet recommend, but didn’t even return to it to upgrade it as I got my set up working successfully now without it.

Do I need to reintegrate it for any reason or is it now obsolete? Very happy to leave it out but wondered what this meant going forward or what others have done with dialog??
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Tsmithpam

Sorry for jumping in off-topic but could not help noticing your mention of IPENG.

I've upgraded to DOS2 (don't have a dialog) and been experimenting with MCONNECT UPNP app on my iphone but I can't help comparing it to my old Squeezebox/IPENG player setup - IPENG was and still is a great app IMHO.

Can you tell me a bit about your setup - I'm assuming you still need to run the Squeezebox Server software? Is it complicated to setup? I would love to be able to use IPENG to control my Phantom Classic. 

Cheers
Kantblue
(10-Nov-2019, 10:50)kantblue Wrote: Hi Tsmithpam

Sorry for jumping in off-topic but could not help noticing your mention of IPENG.

I've upgraded to DOS2 (don't have a dialog) and been experimenting with MCONNECT UPNP app on my iphone but I can't help comparing it to my old Squeezebox/IPENG player setup - IPENG was and still is a great app IMHO.

Can you tell me a bit about your setup - I'm assuming you still need to run the Squeezebox Server software? Is it complicated to setup? I would love to be able to use IPENG to control my Phantom Classic. 

Cheers
Kantblue

Hey Kantblue,

I too really like iPeng. I find it easy to use and all of the family (inc kids) can use it happily on other squeezebox based players (Logitech radios) around the house.

My set up for the Phantoms is as follows:

Innuos Zenmini Mk3 (combined cd ripper, NAS and streamer).

Ethernet connection from Zenmini to router.

Optical output from Zenmini direct into back of one phantom.

Ethernet cable from same phantom direct to router.

Another phantom positioned and plug to mains separately from this and playing in stereo.

I used to have dialog in the mix but not now post DOS2.

The Zenmini has an integrated upnp server and I use iPeng to access flac files stored on my Zenmini.

IPeng also allows me to stream tidal. Others like Qobuz, deezer and Spotify also available this way.

It is only IOS based though. We have it on family phones and iPad. IPeng doesn’t work on Android.

Innous are great by the way. Check then out if looking for a new server. They have brilliant support ( one for Devialet to learn from!)

Cheers

Hi Tsmithpam - thanks for the information - very useful.

One thing I do remember about IPENG was how good the queue management of music was, it was simple to modify the queue, add a track to play next, or add it to the end of the queue etc. With Mconnect I keep deleting the queue by mistake or adding a complete album to the queue or a track starts playing immediately when I just wanted to add it to the queue.

Sadly I only have one Phantom Classic (though donations are welcome Smile) and the optical is currently taken up by my turntable. All other connections including MConnnect are via the Phantoms wifi which is actually pretty stable for me.

I can see that perhaps I need to re-install Squeezebox Server on my system so IPENG can once again access my library, but I'm confused as to how the Phantom can be seen as a squeezebox device?

Can this be done via WIFI to the phantom.

Just re-installing Squeezebox server now - I had replaced this with PLEX which does work well with mconnect - I just don't like the app much - not sure any others are better - Ipeng was always in a class of its own I think.

kantblue
(10-Nov-2019, 10:07)tsmithpam Wrote: I migrated to DOS2 yesterday and so far so good. The set up process was so much more straight forward than my experience originally via spark. Sounds great still and I have two upgraded classic phantoms in stereo. I connect to my innuos via optical and play local files and stream tidal using iPeng. Works well so far.

What now for dialog? I left to last as Devialet recommend, but didn’t even return to it to upgrade it as I got my set up working successfully now without it.

Do I need to reintegrate it for any reason or is it now obsolete? Very happy to leave it out but wondered what this meant going forward or what others have done with dialog??
Thanks

You can use the Dialog as an extra optical input.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(10-Nov-2019, 12:40)kantblue Wrote: Hi Tsmithpam - thanks for the information - very useful.

One thing I do remember about IPENG was how good the queue management of music was, it was simple to modify the queue, add a track to play next, or add it to the end of the queue etc. With Mconnect I keep deleting the queue by mistake or adding a complete album to the queue or a track starts playing immediately when I just wanted to add it to the queue.

Sadly I only have one Phantom Classic (though donations are welcome Smile) and the optical is currently taken up by my turntable. All other connections including MConnnect are via the Phantoms wifi which is actually pretty stable for me.

I can see that perhaps I need to re-install Squeezebox Server on my system so IPENG can once again access my library, but I'm confused as to how the Phantom can be seen as a squeezebox device?

Can this be done via WIFI to the phantom.

Just re-installing Squeezebox server now - I had replaced this with PLEX which does work well with mconnect - I just don't like the app much - not sure any others are better - Ipeng was always in a class of its own I think.

kantblue

Not sure, but interested to hear how you get on....

Oh
Ok thanks. So I can hook up a turntable and connect via dialog (optical) for example? If so, that’s useful and I’d best upgrade the dialog too.

(10-Nov-2019, 13:19)tsmithpam Wrote: Oh
Ok thanks. So I can hook up a turntable and connect via dialog (optical) for example? If so, that’s useful and I’d best upgrade the dialog too.

Yes, you can. I actually have a couple of Dialogs and wonder if I can use more than one at a time with DOS2.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hi TSmithpam

Got Phantom working wirelessly with Ipeng - very pleased (and a little surprised!)

Had to install Logitech Media Server on my server which allows Ipeng to see and browse music but only my IPeng IOS device appeared as a player at first.

But there is a UPNP/DLNA plugin available free in the third party list of LMS plugins which allows UPNP devices to appear as if they were Squeezebox's and so far everything is working fine. Even better my other UPNP devices have also appeared as 'Players' so I can use IPeng to send music to any of my music players - quite unexpected but a big bonus for me.

There are quite a number of 'tweaks' to the third party plugin - mainly Passthrough which sends the audio unchanged to the Devialet - or Full processing where the application decodes and resamples the tracks before sending them. Lots of other settings you can tweak but all working fine without tweaking so far.

I would guess that PASSTHROUGH is the way to go assuming the Devialet upnp can process the audio?

The only downside is that I have Logitech Media Server and PLEX Server running on the same PC but this doesn't seem to be causing any clashes so far - I don't want to get rid of PLEX as I use it for video rather than audio.

Been looking up Innuous - nice and not daft prices either! Thanks again for your input!

kantblue
Great. Glad you got it all going! The app plug in for streaming tidal etc is a little clunky on iPeng but it all other regards it’s very good. I also tried Glider audio which works on IOS. Worth checking out.

Innous customer support I have found to be second to none. Helpful pre and post sale for me, even now some time after purchase.

Hope all continues well for you