Poll: Do you prefer Roon RAAT or Roon Integrated AIR
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Roon Integrated AIR
23.08%
30 23.08%
Roon RAAT
34.62%
45 34.62%
They sound the same
16.92%
22 16.92%
Not sure, they sound similar, maybe depends on what music I am listening to.
13.08%
17 13.08%
I realy can't be bothered to A/B test
12.31%
16 12.31%
Total 130 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which sounds best? Roon RAAT or Roon Integrated AIR
For me integrated AIR has better sound quality than the current version of RAAT. I expect RAAT to improve as the microRendu I own (which uses RAAT) sounds better than the others when used with the Mutec MC-3 +USB. AIR is quite close to the mR/Mutec while RAAT direct to my 250 has some way to go...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I also believe I hear subtle differences although I suspect I'd fail any kind of blind test. Expectation bias? Who knows.

As @David A mentioned, Devialet (and Roon) are quite closed mouth about the RAAT gigabit speed problem despite it being over 3 months since the problem was discovered. That is certainly not unusual for Devialet but is a bit surprising for Roon.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I suspect the reason for the silence from both is that it is a Devialet issue and that Roon are being good corporate partners by not making any comments that might reflect badly on Devialet since it is a Devialet issue. That explanation would fit because of Devialet's habitual silence on issues and the fact that Roon seem to be much more open about things when it is a Roon problem.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(30-May-2019, 20:34)David A Wrote: I suspect the reason for the silence from both is that it is a Devialet issue and that Roon are being good corporate partners by not making any comments that might reflect badly on Devialet since it is a Devialet issue. That explanation would fit because of Devialet's habitual silence on issues and the fact that Roon seem to be much more open about things when it is a Roon problem.

Agreed.   Equally abysmal is that Devialet is habitually slow in getting problems resolved.    It is what it is.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Roon stated as much a couple of weeks ago on the Roon forum:

We have spoken with Deivlaet regarding this issue and provided them with technical information needed to investigate this further. They are currently looking into this, and we’re looking forward to hearing the results of their investigation, and helping in any way we can. We don’t currently have any indication that this is related to Roon generally or RAAT specifically, but obviously we’ll do whatever we can to get this stable and resolved for Roon users.

Although it’s a shame that Noris from Roon Labs support can’t spell Devialet.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-May-2019, 21:58)Confused Wrote: Roon stated as much a couple of weeks ago on the Roon forum:

We have spoken with Deivlaet regarding this issue and provided them with technical information needed to investigate this further. They are currently looking into this, and we’re looking forward to hearing the results of their investigation, and helping in any way we can. We don’t currently have any indication that this is related to Roon generally or RAAT specifically, but obviously we’ll do whatever we can to get this stable and resolved for Roon users.

Although it’s a shame that Noris from Roon Labs support can’t spell Devialet.....
I don’t think you should tell anyone off for bad spelling Confused  Big Grin
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Most disconcerting to read the results of the poll. As a Phantom Gold owner, I was looking forward to eventually getting RAAT and make the jump to Roon. Currently, not using Roon because both Roon Air and optical are not as good as UPnP into the Phantoms. Looks like it will be a long while before I need to consider RAAT...
Hi @Snoopy8 just to clear this up. AFAIK Phantoms only support Apple AirPlay, not AIR and hence not Roon AIR. Some less experienced in Devialet lingo might get confused if one mixes the two very different protocols.
Other than that I agree completely that RAAT and Phantoms would be very very nice. As I've said elsewhere the CI operating system is Linux, same as Dialog so it should be quite easy to port RAAT (and AiR for that matter) to Dialog. Phantom is also running some form of Linux so it might even be possible to put RAAT directly on Phantoms. Maybe that is why it takes such long time...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(30-May-2019, 22:23)Pim Wrote:
(30-May-2019, 21:58)Confused Wrote: Roon stated as much a couple of weeks ago on the Roon forum:

I don’t think you should tell anyone off for bad spelling Confused  Big Grin

Yes, terribly rude of me, for which I apologise without reservation. That said, my own appalling spelling has greatly improved following the advent of spell check software.......

I note this thread has drifted a little off topic, although arguably this is a good thing as it keeps the poll "bumped".  I also notice that there have been a few "late" votes this week, which is good as it would be nice to get up to the 100 mark.

So whilst we are a little off topic, I would like to slip in a general question about Roon. 

Roon works fine in my system streaming to a sMS-200Ultra, it always has done.  However, over the last few months I have noticed some odd behavior in Roon, or maybe not odd, just very slow.  As an example, if my PC has been off for a few days, I can start the PC, Roon loads quickly, select a track, hit play, nothing happens.  I can then sit there scratching my head, wondering what is wrong, and about a minute later the track finally starts to play.  After this, Roon is responsive and works as it should.  It is just initially things are very slow.  OK - one answer might be that I need a faster PC, but the thing is that in the past it used to work just fine.  It is just some early operations after start up now seem epically slow.

Has anyone else noticed similar?  (or maybe there is a setting somewhere that I need to tweak?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
For me AIR sounds better. RAAT has kind of the same effect that SAM has. It takes away a very little peace of the clarity in the voice region causing a 'smoother' sound. I can very much imagine that people could like such a sound. I assume it could be linked to analytical vs musical preferences.

Besides that Roon has confirmed an issue I have. When using up sampling all songs skip a small first part of the song. This cannot be changed by setting a delay in the settings.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands