Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does playing over DLNA to my Devialet is working so bad?
After a long time I again tried UPnP again. But for me it is not working.

I have a JRiver MC Server connected via 1GB ethernet and a Switch to my D220 Pro.  If I play tracks from the server using the DLNA protocol, with high res files > 16 bit, I have always between 10 -20 sec stuttering in the beginning during playback of the track, 192kHz files are stuttering all the time during playback.

I use the DLNA Server Audiophile 24-bit DAC with Mode:Original in the JRMC Network settings. 

Any Ideas?

Thank you very much for your help!
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
This is why Roon will never implement UPnP. Too much risk it won't work. Bad news for me as I was planning to try UPnP from JRiver to my 250 Pro CI following ada's thread here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-UPnP-Sound-Quality It seems the sound quality is related to Audirvana which I do not own.
Not much help in this I'm afraid. Is maybe Fidelizer doing something?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(08-Aug-2018, 11:19)ogs Wrote: This is why Roon will never implement UPnP. Too much risk it won't work. Bad news for me as I was planning to try UPnP from JRiver to my 250 Pro CI following ada's thread here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-UPnP-Sound-Quality It seems the sound quality is related to Audrivana which I do not own.
Not much help in this I'm afraid. Is maybe Fidelizer doing something?

I tested with Fidelizer uninstalled and Antivirus and Win 10 Firewall off. Does not help.
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
I've prepared JRiver DLNA server on my laptop and Bubble UPnP on Android as control. It seems to work, but I will not have time until Sunday afternoon to try it properly. This is the same setup I had for JRiver when I used it successfully with upmpdcli and MPD some years ago. We'll see...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I had a little bit of spare time this morning, so in the spirit of forum cooperation, I thought I would try the UPnP with JRiver MC20. It was very easy to get working, and I tried with a number of 24bit tracks, up to 192kHz.

It sounded good, although it seemed a bit louder than normal for any given volume setting.

At first, I thought I was going to simply report that it works fine in my system, but no, at the start of the second track (24/192) I had just a little bit of stuttering. This was repeated on a number of occasions. Most of the time it worked fine, it was perfectly listenable, and some 24bit tracks started and played with no stuttering at any time. It was not perfect though, one track "paused" about two minutes in for three seconds or so, then the next track stuttered momentarily at the start. Just little annoying little glitches creeping in.

This is using exactly the same network that feeds my microRendu or sMS200Ultra upsampled to 24/192 with zero issues, in fact, it will also run Roon AIR or AIR without issues too.

Having done the 24bit file test, I thought I would have a listen to some very familiar material, just for a listen. Interestingly, I also had some early track stuttering with 16/44.1 tracks, and after a very quick listen I could not help but think that for me, UPnP does not sound as good as AIR. So maybe it would be worth trying AIR for a while, it might be stable and sound a little better?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(12-Aug-2018, 10:12)Confused Wrote: ...
It sounded good, although it seemed a bit louder than normal for any given volume setting.

That's interesting: if it's really playing louder for a given volume, that might help to explain some of the findings in this thread...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
@Confused are you reducing volume before upsampling normally, to avoid intersample overs.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
My AV network is the following:

For DLNA Play and For Devialet AIR 

JRMC DLNA SERVER (Windows 10, separate room 36 TB Disk Space)->Switch (Linksys)->                                                                 Ethernet->D220 Pro | DLNA
         JRMC SERVER (Windows 10, separate room 36 TB Disk Space)->Switch (Linksys)->Media Renderer (JRMC Client, Windows 10)->Ethernet->D220 Pro | AIR

• The switch is not directly connected to a router, it is connected to a WLAN Bridge (AVM 1750E).
  • Network topology: Internet->Cable->Cable Router (Old Fritz!Box with WLAN off)->Lan Bridge (AVM 1750E, Home Office)->WLAN Bridge (AVM 1750E, Living Room).
  • Devialet AIR during playback works always fine. 
  • Sometimes, after playback of a video, not audio, AIR stops working, restarting AIR helps in most cases, sometimes I must unplug power for my D220Pro . Then it works again.

For me up to now AIR has the best SQ, even better than playing through my Sotm txUSB card + iFI Power.

DLNA Play has the problem of stuttering in the beginning and for 24 bit 192 kHz stuttering all the time, even if Antivirus and Firewall is off.
Hello Manfred, the first time I would like to test with a LAN cable switch directly with the router zuverbinden. If that does not succeed, you can exclude the network as a source of error.
Do you use dynamic cross band repeating (2.4 + 5 GHz) by wlan bridge?
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(12-Aug-2018, 11:12)Soniclife Wrote: @Confused are you reducing volume before upsampling normally, to avoid intersample overs.

When using Roon / HQPlayer, yes.  When trying JRiver earlier, I was not upsampling, just playing 24/192 files.  So not quite equivalent.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12