Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams
@f1eng
Respect! Wink
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Our Frank is a movie star! I'm gonna play some Frankie Goes To Hollywood to celebrate.  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
You must have had an interesting career, @f1eng, working alongside the likes of Frank W and Patrick Head as well as the other greats of F1.
Frank Williams is an absolute legend and Claire comes across as a very switched on lady.
Great to see that they’ve got a driver of the calibre of George Russell in the team.
Let’s hope that they find the backing they need to continue and that the proposed spending cap helps to make Williams and the other lower placed teams to be more competitive. It’d be good to see them back at the pinnacle of the sport. There needs to be a more level playing field IMHO.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi Frank,

Sorry I blew your cover.

You must be a superstar engineer being an engineer in their heyday!
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

wow, I feel like I'm in the presence of greatness!
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
Mindful that this is a hifi forum.....

I think it might be worth mentioning that designing world championship winning F1 cars, whilst highly impressive, is NOT the highlight of Frank's career.

If I recall correctly, I think he was also involved with some kind of R&D work for Garrard Turntables.

Now that is truly impressive.....   Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
That's kind of magic!

Congratulations!!!

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I have always been a music lover but I only discovered the existance of "hifi" when I left home in 1968. We had a radiogram at home, my Mum was a music lover and good pianist, my Dad had no interest at all in music.
I hadn't realised how varied and expensive the stuff was.
I did noise and vibration research before I entered F1 full time, including a period at Garrard looking at how unwanted vibration, and hence spurious signal, got to the cartridge (It gets to both sides).
I had to design my own transducers in the early days since suitable ones were either not available at all or very expensive and made to order.
I was interested in electronics even though I trained in Mechanical Engineering and used it a lot for measuring what was going wrong when fault finding.
I was the first person to use a computer in F1 also a digital data logger (analogue isn't accurate enough), CAD and CAE.
Now everybody is at it.
When I joined Williams we were 23 people with a limited budget and the most important thing I did was to work out the most beneficial place to apply engineering effort. Nowadays teams have 700-1200 people and sufficient budget to do anything they can think of.
It will change.
At Williams I did all the aerodynamics, ran the tests and the No1 car at half the races, Patrick did the other half. At its peak I had 2 model makers and a tunnel technician. Later I developed an active suspension system from concept to win its first race. It was massive fun.
My friend who is head of aero at Ferrari has 120 people doing only that. They don't seem to have mush fun at all.
I have friends throughout the teams so keep up to date a bit still but I retired over 10 years ago.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Quote:My friend who is head of aero at Ferrari has 120 people doing only that. They don't seem to have mush fun at al

these days that can only be beaten and more less funn within their enginee department  Big Grin Big Grin
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(17-Aug-2020, 16:35)f1eng Wrote: but I retired over 10 years ago.

And look what has happened to Williams since...  Cool
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini