Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Would you do it again.
Spark at least on OSX can access the files from a NAS. As long as you have the NAS mounted as a folder in the OS. Spark will see the files as local to the computer. That's how I play my music from the NAS. Should be similar I imagine on a windows PC. Never had any issues so far with my Phantom setup. Both movies and music works flawlessly so far for me.
Great feed back ! Thx.

OK so that's that then. A pair of Phantoms for me. Didn't take much to sway me huh :-) I just needed some gentle reassuring.

Now which ones? 

Silver or wait for Gold?
Looks like incremental improvements with corresponding price increases.

Wait for the Platinum series. Or even Diamond. Smile

Tongue in cheek humor aside, I do recommend the Phantoms.
when is Platinum and Diamond coming ?
(16-Jun-2016, 10:29)Jwg1749 Wrote: The quality of the bass, the dynamics and the imaging are all first class. The treble and upper mid-range aren't as clear as many traditional speakers, but you can't have everything.

I can say yes to all of this too. The sound quality is unbelievable. I dont know much about the treble and upper mid-range. Before I had two floor standing Bowers & Wilkins XT4 designer speaker (about €1900) with Thule PA350/PR350BV (€7100) totally of €9000, but the Phantoms are much better, so it were a big improvement for me. I'm now curious what the new and better Phantoms will sound like. I dont miss power, so it will almost improve the treble and upper mid-range. I love mine, so will wait 5 years, maybe more for a new model.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
(16-Jun-2016, 14:37)martinskeem Wrote: If you do use a 3rd party streamer, be aware that the optical input on the Dialog was broken with last firmware update (!!). Either don't update (and not have Spotify Connect, which was introduced with last update) or do update and connect 3rd party streamer to optical input on one of the phantoms.

Br,
Martin

?????
I have my tv tuner connected to my Dialog optical input and it has always worked. The input is a bit physically ropey but there has never been a problem with it working AFAIK I have all the atest updates.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(16-Jun-2016, 19:37)f1eng Wrote:
(16-Jun-2016, 14:37)martinskeem Wrote: If you do use a 3rd party streamer, be aware that the optical input on the Dialog was broken with last firmware update (!!). Either don't update (and not have Spotify Connect, which was introduced with last update) or do update and connect 3rd party streamer to optical input on one of the phantoms.

Br,
Martin

?????
I have my tv tuner connected to my Dialog optical input and it has always worked. The input is a bit physically ropey but there has never been a problem with it working AFAIK I have all the atest updates.

There are quite a few reports in here about "crackling" or static noise when using the dialog input. It's a few seconds every few minutes. Easily audible. Not sure if it affects everyone that uses the dialog input. Also confirmed by Devialet to be an issue introduced with latest firmware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would probably hesitate before buying again. I own twho white phantoms. I do love the incredible bass and the sound image. But mid and trebble are below par. With some music types such as classic rock or large orchestra it becomes obvious that those speakers are not well suited. I also much prefer how they sounded last year before an update drasticallay reduced the bass impact and now forces me to turn volume up to 50 for some jazz songs to be able to hear something. What is the 0-20 volume range for?

On the other hand I can't complain too much as I do not have the hissing problem and connectivity through plc is perfect (they always choose that route over wifi even though dialog and phantoms are in the same room). Radio is a great improvement as well although some overseas radio that show up in the list won't play (maybe an ip issue).
(17-Jun-2016, 09:05)fcs Wrote: I would probably hesitate before buying again. I own twho white phantoms. I do love the incredible bass and the sound image. But mid and trebble are below par. With some music types such as classic rock or large orchestra it becomes obvious that those speakers are not well suited. I also much prefer how they sounded last year before an update drasticallay reduced the bass impact and now forces me to turn volume up to 50 for some jazz songs to be able to hear something. What is the 0-20 volume range for?

On the other hand I can't complain too much as I do not have the hissing problem and connectivity through plc is perfect (they always choose that route over wifi even though dialog and phantoms are in the same room). Radio is a great improvement as well although some overseas radio that show up in the list won't play (maybe an ip issue).

@fcs

Thanks for the "considered" response. Without hearing them or being able to hear them before purchase its somewhat difficult to know if its a right move or a wrong move. 

All things considered, i dont think my listening experience is high enough to reallybe able to pick this out unless its really upfront and in your face re the mid and trebble. Who knows, maybe i'll pick it straight away ?

What i have decided is i am going to wait for the Gold Phantoms as perhaps the issue will be addressed.

Thanks for the input
Bimbo - for your own sake, get over all your metaphysical questions! Phantoms are great value for money, spending hours reading reviews and assessing +/- is an utter waste of time. Buy them, listen to great music and enjoy life.