Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YG Accoustics Hailey 1.2
Friend of mine today brought me his YG Carmel to audition.
I have to say that I very impressed, it's looks better then my Magico S1 and its sound better.
Since the two speakers are pretty similar I'm using my magico SAM configuration on Carmel since it's not SAMed yet, and it's working very well.

What do you think of using SAM from other speaker on non SAMed speaker , can it affect in any negative way and be not safe for speaker/amp or it's OK?
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(17-Apr-2015, 20:37)Stigmater Wrote: What do you think of using SAM from other speaker on non SAMed speaker , can it affect in any negative way and be not safe for speaker/amp  or it's OK?

From a technical pont of view it's a crazy idea.  The principle of SAM is to build a model of the speaker which is used to correct its response for higher accuracy.  Using the SAM model for one type of speaker to adjust the response for a different type of speaker can't be expected to work correctly.  Subjectively you might prefer the resulting sound, of course, which is entirely up to you.

Because SAM can increase the drive to the speaker, especially in the bass, without safety measures it would run the risk of over-driving it, maybe causing damage.  The SAM speaker model includes knowledge of the speaker characteristics and uses this to make sure the speaker is driven within a safe regime.  If you use a SAM model that does not match your speaker, the safety limits would not apply correctly.  I don't know whether that introduces a significant risk of damage to either amp or speaker but personally I wouldn't take the risk.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
PS - the YG Carmels do look rather nice!
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Apr-2015, 20:37)Stigmater Wrote: Friend of mine today brought me his YG Carmel to audition.
I have to say that I very impressed, it's looks better then my Magico S1 and its sound better.
Since the two speakers are pretty similar I'm using my magico SAM configuration on Carmel since it's not SAMed yet, and it's working very well.

What do you think of using SAM from other speaker on non SAMed speaker , can it affect in any negative way and be not safe for speaker/amp  or it's OK?

Which part do you think the carmel better than s1?
(17-Apr-2015, 20:46)thumb5 Wrote:
(17-Apr-2015, 20:37)Stigmater Wrote: What do you think of using SAM from other speaker on non SAMed speaker , can it affect in any negative way and be not safe for speaker/amp  or it's OK?

From a technical pont of view it's a crazy idea.  The principle of SAM is to build a model of the speaker which is used to correct its response for higher accuracy.  Using the SAM model for one type of speaker to adjust the response for a different type of speaker can't be expected to work correctly.  Subjectively you might prefer the resulting sound, of course, which is entirely up to you.

Because SAM can increase the drive to the speaker, especially in the bass, without safety measures it would run the risk of over-driving it, maybe causing damage.  The SAM speaker model includes knowledge of the speaker characteristics and uses this to make sure the speaker is driven within a safe regime.  If you use a SAM model that does not match your speaker, the safety limits would not apply correctly.  I don't know whether that introduces a significant risk of damage to either amp or speaker but personally I wouldn't take the risk.

Hi Thumb5

Sometimes a bit of calculated craziness yields breakthrough results

For a couple of months now I have been using ML Theos SAM profile for my ML Montis and I have to say the outcome was fantastic.

Please see this post for more details

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=582

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(18-Apr-2015, 07:41)amabrok Wrote: Sometimes a bit of calculated craziness yields breakthrough results

That's why I said "From a technical point of view", and "Subjectively you might prefer the resulting sound, of course, which is entirely up to you."

It may not be accurate, but if you like the result - great!
Warwickshire, UK
(18-Apr-2015, 02:49)xy1689 Wrote:
(17-Apr-2015, 20:37)Stigmater Wrote: Friend of mine today brought me his YG Carmel to audition.

What do you think of using SAM from other speaker on non SAMed speaker , can it affect in any negative way and be not safe for speaker/amp  or it's OK?

Which part do you think the carmel better than s1?

Basically two speakers has a lot in common but in overall Carmel more pleasant to listen, they have magic that Magico is missing. Trust me I really wanted it to be the opposite since Magico is mine and Carmel isn't Smile
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Carmel is my now Smile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(02-May-2015, 01:19)Stigmater Wrote: Carmel is my now Smile

Congratulations! This is the original Carmel? Very interesting that you find it better than the S1. I have briefly heard the S1, but not the Carmel. I have been thinking the Carmel might be even better
I have used the "wrong" SAM profile with my speakers for quite some time. I use room correction on top of that and the result is very good.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(02-May-2015, 01:19)Stigmater Wrote: Carmel is my now Smile

Congrats!!

I brought my 200 to a friend who owns Carmel. We tested it through an USB connection from a Macbook pro where music is stored at a Nas. The sound was very open and clean and especially at the lower frequencies the performance was very good. Compared it his own system (Karan Acoustics amp + Weiss DAC202), we found 200 to be missing at the bodiness a bit (I hope I used the right term). However, we should not forget that his setup is twice the price of Dev 200. Final word is that 200 + Carmel is a good match and a setup that I am keeping on eye on.
My only concern is that his room is 28sqm and mine is 42 sqm and his listening distance is half of mine. I am not sure if Carmel can fill the room or if it does whether I may need to run it with a 400.

What is the size of your listening room?