Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha home cinema to with Gold Phantoms
Hey Snoopy, one simple question for the office set up.
I just ordered another 2 pairs of Phantoms gold which makes it 4 speakers, and I'd like to do the surround stereo system from my turntable and computer. Because I'm limited to 1 optical output from the pre-amp, to split to 4 speakers, shall I just use an optical audio spliter to direct it to 2 speakers who both will be in sterea to make it 4 speakers ?
I found only a few phono pre-amps with optical outputs which are not AV receivers and not ccosting me like 10k usd.
(14-Dec-2020, 08:49)micky8pool Wrote: Hey Snoopy, one simple question for the office set up.
I just ordered another 2 pairs of Phantoms gold which makes it 4 speakers, and I'd like to do the surround stereo system from my turntable and computer. Because I'm limited to 1 optical output from the pre-amp, to split to 4 speakers, shall I just use an optical audio spliter to direct it to 2 speakers who both will be in sterea to make it 4 speakers ?
I found only a few phono pre-amps with optical outputs which are not AV receivers and not ccosting me like 10k usd.
You will have only a stereo signal to feed the optical input to a Reactor.  Why not use the multi room capability of DOS 2 and play stereo to front and back pairs ?  I have not not used multi room, so have no idea how it works.  But some people here have...
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Multiroom-any-good
(14-Dec-2020, 09:12)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(14-Dec-2020, 08:49)micky8pool Wrote: Hey Snoopy, one simple question for the office set up.
You will have only a stereo signal to feed the optical input to a Reactor.  Why not use the multi room capability of DOS 2 and play stereo to front and back pairs ?  I have not not used multi room, so have no idea how it works.  But some people here have...
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Multiroom-any-good

Actually it works fine for wifi, but my pre-amp is not a wifi emitter so I need cabling. I don't think that if I plug 1 input in 1 speaker I can use it for multiroom source. I can still ask devialet about it. I'll also try very soon when I get my new pair of gold. 
I'll update you about that

Hey @Snoopy8
So after a bit of more researches, the AVM 70 is compatible 8k upgradeable which is quite important for me, but the JBL SDP-55 is only limited to 4k UHD. 

Regarding my office, I bought the Leak 130 Stereo Amplifier. I just bought another 2 phantom gold and will try on those. I'll be able to plug in my turntable to the Amp and my computer too (from my office) and I've discussed with Devialet and told me that I can have 1 optical input and use it as a source for all speakers. I don't know if this is a new feature but I'll definitely try and let you know the outcome. 
Box will arrive in 2 weeks... can't wait
(15-Dec-2020, 08:29)micky8pool Wrote: So after a bit of more researches, the AVM 70 is compatible 8k upgradeable which is quite important for me, but the JBL SDP-55 is only limited to 4k UHD. 
No doubt AVM 70 will do a good job, so go for it.

(15-Dec-2020, 08:29)micky8pool Wrote: Regarding my office, I bought the Leak 130 Stereo Amplifier. I just bought another 2 phantom gold and will try on those. I'll be able to plug in my turntable to the Amp and my computer too (from my office) and I've discussed with Devialet and told me that I can have 1 optical input and use it as a source for all speakers. I don't know if this is a new feature but I'll definitely try and let you know the outcome. 
Box will arrive in 2 weeks... can't wait
The Phanthoms have always been able to take 1 optical input and drive stereo speakers. What is new is driving multiple rooms.

Note that this is different when you set it to low latency optical input, the Phanthom becomes a dumb active speaker. Hence, when using Dante, you will need optical inputs for every Phantom.
Hey @Snoopy8
Yesterday I passed by Devialet to ask some questions, and the sales told me they plan to release an update for the speakers that will allow them to manage the home cinema. I don't have more information than this but they said they are working on it.
TBC...
(17-Dec-2020, 06:07)micky8pool Wrote: Hey @Snoopy8
Yesterday I passed by Devialet to ask some questions, and the sales told me they plan to release an update for the speakers that will allow them to manage the home cinema. I don't have more information than this but they said they are working on it.
TBC...
There was a rumour that a version with Dante built in was being developed about 6 months ago. Maybe this is what the sales person was referring to? But will you delay your project based on this?
Hey Guys, sorry for jumping in late... If you're going Dante then I highly recommend going down the JBL SDP-55 route. My next upgrade is to replace my Anthems with the JBLs so that I keep everything digital all the way to the Phantoms.

As @Snoopy8 suggested, stick with the same type of Phantom in the HT setup... you can get away with Phantom Classics for Surrounds if you want to save a little money.

For the rest of the house you'll need something to act as the volume control. I ended up using a Symetrix Radius to do this for me and integrated it with Savant remotes so each room in the house has independent volume control. My sources for the non HT rooms are bluesound Node 2i's. These allow me to connect via BT and setup whole house sound if needed.

Let me know if you need anything else.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante