Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another Dual Mono Configuration Glitch!
Perhaps one of the more IT savvy members of this forum might want to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that the configurator was a relatively simple bit of software, effectively providing a few lines of text format code to an SD cards. The hard work is done, that is producing the nice looking graphic interface etc. Yet people have been reporting configurator bugs for four or five months now. Shouldn't these be relatively easy to fix by Devialet?
(30-Dec-2014, 12:21)Confused Wrote: Perhaps one of the more IT savvy members of this forum might want to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that the configurator was a relatively simple bit of software, effectively providing a few lines of text format code to an SD cards. The hard work is done, that is producing the nice looking graphic interface etc. Yet people have been reporting configurator bugs for four or five months now. Shouldn't these be relatively easy to fix by Devialet?

If they're doing it the way i would the text file is simply a template with variables. Those variables are mapped to user selections that are captured in script via the fancy webpage configurator. Once the config file is generated the template variables are mapped to the matching script values in sequence...the resulting custom config file is then made available for download.

My guess is that the issue most people are having is related to the download process vs. the generation of the actual file. Browsers are notorious for screwing up formats of text based files (CSV, etc).

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(30-Dec-2014, 18:03)adhesiv Wrote:
(30-Dec-2014, 12:21)Confused Wrote: Perhaps one of the more IT savvy members of this forum might want to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that the configurator was a relatively simple bit of software, effectively providing a few lines of text format code to an SD cards. The hard work is done, that is producing the nice looking graphic interface etc. Yet people have been reporting configurator bugs for four or five months now. Shouldn't these be relatively easy to fix by Devialet?

If they're doing it the way i would the text file is simply a template with variables. Those variables are mapped to user selections that are captured in script via the fancy webpage configurator. Once the config file is generated the template variables are mapped to the matching script values in sequence...the resulting custom config file is then made available for download.

My guess is that the issue most people are having is related to the download process vs. the generation of the actual file. Browsers are notorious for screwing up formats of text based files (CSV, etc).
Assuming this is true, isn't this very worrying? It is one thing to get obvious configurator issues, such as an input not working or being incorrectly named, but if errors are able to creep in, then why not errors with SAM parameters or similar? This could have a detrimental effect on sound quality, and you may not even know it was happening.
(02-Jan-2015, 14:36)Confused Wrote:
(30-Dec-2014, 18:03)adhesiv Wrote:

Assuming this is true, isn't this very worrying? It is one thing to get obvious configurator issues, such as an input not working or being incorrectly named, but if errors are able to creep in, then why not errors with SAM parameters or similar? This could have a detrimental effect on sound quality, and you may not even know it was happening.

That's a very good point Confused. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
To support Confused theory I can add that SAM did more or less nothing to my old speakers Monitor Audio PL100 even if the 'graph' on Devialet webpage show that it should be big!? I had some long and boring issues while config the system for SAM as reported elsewhere in this forum.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(02-Jan-2015, 17:02)Mikeeo Wrote: To support Confused theory I can add that SAM did more or less nothing to my old speakers Monitor Audio PL100 even if the 'graph' on Devialet webpage show that it should be big!? I had some long and boring issues while config the system for SAM as reported elsewhere in this forum.

/Mike

On the other hand Sam did great things for my C60's.
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(02-Jan-2015, 18:38)wwm Wrote:
(02-Jan-2015, 17:02)Mikeeo Wrote: To support Confused theory I can add that SAM did more or less nothing to my old speakers Monitor Audio PL100 even if the 'graph' on Devialet webpage show that it should be big!? I had some long and boring issues while config the system for SAM as reported elsewhere in this forum.

/Mike

On the other hand Sam did great things for my C60's.
Bill.

And so did it on other speakers tested as well as my next week coming Raidho X1. Can't rule out the following about my PL100's: Confused has a point or PL100 has in general no strong SAM effect (despite what is seen on the Dev homepage) or something else unknown. I as everyone else would have expected a big difference.
In general I would expect a good difference on stand mount loudspeakers.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi all,
I have been singing the praises of sam and have been engrosed in my music since before Christmas and I have not changed my view, 800 for me sounds as good as my previous Naim NDS/555/552/300 system, however, the configurator is driving me nuts. Decided to use the sky box which is connected via digital3 and strangely 75% of volume is coming out of the right speaker with balance on 0. The settings are the same as digital2 from the HDX and both channels are fine. Decided to use an input on the companion and duly used the link supplied and configured. Went through the 54321 process, unit went off then master came on and then slave came on then master went off this continued until I pressed off on the remote. Went through various settings but could not get units to link until I removed the link cable and disabled digital3. Digital3 is still 75% one sided even when I change the leads over from the HDX. Don't know what to try next.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(04-Jan-2015, 21:59)wwm Wrote: Hi all,
I have been singing the praises of sam and have been engrosed in my music since before Christmas and I have not changed my view, 800 for me sounds as good as my previous Naim NDS/555/552/300 system, however, the configurator is driving me nuts. Decided to use the sky box which is connected via digital3 and strangely 75% of volume is coming out of the right speaker with balance on 0. The settings are the same as digital2 from the HDX and both channels are fine. Decided to use an input on the companion and duly used the link supplied and configured. Went through the 54321 process, unit went off then master came on and then slave came on then master went off this continued until I pressed off on the remote. Went through various settings but could not get units to link until I removed the link cable and disabled digital3. Digital3 is still 75% one sided even when I change the leads over from the HDX. Don't know what to try next.

Interesting,

I had issues like this and now I start to think that it probably is the new configurator than anything else. I just re configured to have AES/EBU input on the Master. Then a lot of strange things happened. When I selected the analogue inputs on the companion that I used, the companion shut down. It was odd of course but as I was about to let these input go to the master I did not put effort in solving this. As I was about to install a new cable to use the AES/EBU on the companion I re-config again for this and at the same time moving the analogue inputs to the master ie previously these inputs had been digital 3 and 4 but now analogue 3 and 4 in. Well after this config things went even more strange. First of all companion did not want to start when starting from remote but I had to start on the companion and here were lots of other strange behaviors. For some reason I decided to pull out the the link cable as I for sure didn't need that anymore as the companion now didn't have any signal handling except for the one coming from the master. Voila, it worked again. All fina you think, nope, now suddenly previous digital 3 is still digital and only previous digital 4 is now analogue 4 as only analogue 4 works with the analogue signal in. But in the configurator it says that there is an analogue 3. Well as I also can run a digital signal from my Oppo player, even if I prefer the analogue out hence having this enabled on the master, I'm ok but this is highly disturbing. In any case when units are up and running companion dims its window directly despite me having it on a 15 sec hold before dimming just like for the master, another strange behavior. I could go on about the problems I had enabling the SAM function but I think I will stop there.

Have a good night/Mike
@Mikeeo - Some (not all) of what describe is very similar to the issues that I had when trying to enable inputs on the companion. After a few email exchanges with Devialet they eventually admitted that there are known bugs with the Configurator and they stated that they are working on a robust solution. In the end I gave up trying to use companion inputs, deciding that I would simply live without them until Devialet confirm the Configurator is fixed.