Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
dCS Network Bridge
Managed to get a loan of a dCS NB from Absolute Sounds - cheers Pedro.

Previously my pecking order for streaming on a MacMini has been

1. Amarra Luxe 4 / AIR 3.0
2. Roon / AIR 3.0
3. Krell Connect
3. Roon / Roon AIR

I was very keen to hear the dCS as it promised to eliminate the MacMini from playback giving me the shortest possible playback chain.

Linked it up to the Dev with Transparent Digital Ref (I have both RCA (1m) and XLR (0.6m) lengths. Ethernet cabling was Supra Cat8 (great recommendation from Axel).
All observations are with Tidal streaming.
Straight up you can tell this is something special - it sounds more spacious and immediate than any of my other options. The bass is outstanding, deep, percussive but never overblown - it was like an amplifier upgrade. The micro details and layering/depth were in another league - can hear studio wall echoes and reverb that were not apparent before. Is this what jitter reduction sounds like or the removal of a computer? My other options sound more 2D by comparison. It really keeps your attention but despite the detail it is not bright or fatiguing. Can't make my mind up over RCA or XLR connection though. It is also Roon ready and so I fired up the MacMini and in Roon found the dCS icon to link to. Sounds excellent - more dCS than Roon/Mac. However, there is a wee bit of a step backwards in SQ with Roon/Mac in the chain - slightly narrower flatter soundstage. It's not much and may be something you could live with to keep the brilliant Roon interface. However, when you go back to 'pure' dCS it is difficult to get enthusiastic about firing up the Mac.
The dCS app is ok and very functional but does something I hate - to play a track you touch an icon or text AND then you have to press play - grrr!
I also found that the MConnect app works perfectly and so I've been using that. Nothing compares to Roon or course.

So all in all this is a winner and looks like I'll have to sell the Krell!

K
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Yep, no doubt that the dCS Network Bridge is a real winner. Superior to all other forms of streaming I have tried and lived with, from Tidal to NAS.
There is so much fine detail in a big 3D soundstage with walloping bass, yet it is never in your face and actually a very sophisticated and layered sound.
Going back to Roon/Mac things immediately sound smaller scale, flatter and a bit greyer/sterile sounding. Of course Roon/Mac is not grey or sterile sounding, it's great, but after dCS it gives you that impression. I blame the computer!

Played around between RCA and XLR digital cable connection (both Transparent Ref) - not much in it really. RCA maybe has a bit more focus in the bass and is a bit more forward. XLR is slightly wider and airier with a tad more extension on the bass (or is it less focussed?).

Anyway, the dCS can be thoroughly recommended - best of its type in my system by some margin.

Have to find the cash now..........

K
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Hi All,

I have a question for people with dual Devialet units and the dCS Network Bridge.

Has anybody try to enable AES/EBU input on each Devialet unit and then connect both AES/EBU outputs from dCS to each Devialet?

According to the dCS: Used as a Dual AES pair, the interface outputs PCM at up to 384kS/s, DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DoP format.

I assume that Devialet has no provision to except the dual outputs but just curios...

Thanks,
Lee
@melozen you cant connect it like that. Only one AES in and then rca to xlr between master and slave if you opt for that otherwise rca to rca between master and slave. This cable also transmits all control signals to the slave.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I think what you mean is a left and right output from the dCS bridge. In that case you will have to use the two units as separate units. So a master and slave won't work but it seems the Pros with CI upgrade are now both Masters.

Then there are three issues:

1. The input will 'only' accept 24/192 and DSD64
2. I have no idea if and how you could use the remote on both units at the same time. Then again you could have a remote each.
3. You won't be bridging the amps so you will only be able to use one channel on each amp

I don't think it's worth the hassle.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Thanks for your replies!

I had a funny feeling that it was a crazy idea but my mind sometimes wanders - what if? Smile

All the best!
Hi,
any updates about this awesome streamer ?
Is there any owner who switched to another streamer ? Or still hardly screwed in the cabinet ?
(18-Apr-2018, 08:45)Pim Wrote: I think what you mean is a left and right output from the dCS bridge. In that case you will have to use the two units as separate units. So a master and slave won't work but it seems the Pros with CI upgrade are now both Masters.

Then there are three issues:

1. The input will 'only' accept 24/192 and DSD64
2. I have no idea if and how you could use the remote on both units at the same time. Then again you could have a remote each.
3. You won't be bridging the amps so you will only be able to use one channel on each amp

I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Re.:your point 3. It is possible to set up an Expert as a mono amp with bridging and digital input (I think). One can also select which channel to use. 1. is correct and like you I know nothing about 2.
Problem is one ends up with two amps and no pre-amp this way. Source selection (and volume if you can not use one remote on two amps) must take place in or before the dCS bridge. Roon...?

Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
After a few months of listening, and for the benefit of all of us reading these posts, let me share my experience. I now have a roon nucleus plus which is talking to my dCS Network Bridge wirelessly. There is a digital XLR cable going from dCS Network Bridge to the Devialet expert pro 1000. The sound quality is nothing short of astounding. Using the Devialet AIR is a sheer waste of time and the sound quality doesn’t even come close. I know we all spent a lot on our Devialets and to spend another five grand on the dCS Network Bridge is a tall order. I will say this, however, that this is well worth the expense. If you’re as serious about sound as I am, I can say without any reservation that you owe it to yourself to give the dCs network bridge a listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am really interested in hearing from someone who has done a comparison between the Network Bridge and (SOtM 200 Ultra + sPS 500 + Tx-USBUltra). One is using the AES input on the Devialet and the other USB. Is the AES input on Devialet still the preferred choice for best SQ or since the Core Infinity upgrade has that now changed to USB.