Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
phono stage
Couple of things I found:

1. Earthing/Ground loop hum. Even with the ground wire from phono leads attached to the Devialet my system still has a lot of noise - pops, clicks, buzz's etc - in addition to the background hiss. I noticed that when I had a hand on my equipment stand (metal) and touched the deck or the tonearm the pops and clicks disappeared. I now have a small ground wire attached by blutack running from the tonearm (near the lift) to the stand. All I hear now is the background hiss.

2. I've not posted on this but I feel some of you may be getting too obsessed with the 'hiss'. I've got two MC cartridges - a Koetsu SkyBlue and a Benz LPS - I run both at 0.35mV. Yes the onboard phono stage is noisy with no signal, but as soon as I hear music the hiss is gone. This is actually quieter than a number of valve preamps I've had in the past - the Audio Research LS2b was like a rainstorm!
Anyway, after I first got the D-Premier I too became obsessed with the hiss and tried out two step-ups - the EAR Yoshino MC4 and an Orfeton (had a big can on top??). Both were great and no hiss so I bought the MC4 (looked better!). After a few months I was conscious that I was a bit restless listening to LPs - turning the volume up and down, changing tracks and LPs. So I took the MC4 out of the system and went back to the onboard Dev Phono stage. Instantly the hiss was back, but as soon as I dropped the needle Bam! dynamics and midrange. Tried to go back the MC4 but it sounded slightly recessed in energy and a bit 'silvery' or lighter in mid - processed perhaps. No way I could go back to a SUT. I mean is it really possible to take a 0.35mV signal and put it through a lump of passive electronics and then another cable and not expect to lose something?? Anyway, that's where chasing that damn hiss took me!
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
(11-Oct-2020, 11:55)hansweer Wrote: Hello everybody , i have problems with the phono stage of mine devialet 400.
the problem is that the sound is terrible.When i turn on the phono stage you can hear a hard hiss of sound , is this normal?greetings hans

I am not sure if you are able to do this, but it is possible to measure any hiss / noise that you have with your phono stage.

If you can do this, then you would be able to directly compare your results with the results of others that have taken the same measurement.  

Furthermore, if you think you phono stage hiss is particularly bad, it would also be possible to send your measurements to Devialet's Mathieu Pernot for evaluation.   

See link below for more details:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phono-st...asurements
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thank you all for your reaction, a few minutes ago i maked a new configuration again ! But this time i just use the "slave" for the phono stage.Badly at all it make no different , so now i will look to the "ram " and see what i can do .i will tell you how it works. greetings hans
Jean-marie , now i have removed all the connection cable from the phono including the groundcable and still ther is a terrible background sissing sound (ruis in nederlands) .I begin to hate it!!
Now i want to trie to connect the phonoplayer with a project phonoampiflier and connect it on a normal line input on the devialet . greetings hans
This is really not normal. Try to make/create a new configuration so not change the original one and load that to your Devialet. Perhaps it is something in your config that is not good.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see what cartridge you're using - could you say, please? When setting up the phono stage configuration did you start with a standard pre-set for a specific cartridge or from scratch? Perhaps you might like to post a screenshot of your phono stage configuration in case there's something amiss?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hello , what do you mean about the cardridge ? when i pulled out all the phono cable's inluding the groundcable i can still hear a bad sound when i put the devialet on phono , gr hans
Since you have a dual mono, I would recommend that you try to separate them in two single units and try to configure the phono in each of them (with the exact same configuration).

If you have one without issue and the other one showing the problem, that would indicate a faulty unit.

If both are exhibiting the same issue, it would point to a configuration problem, a grounding problem or a cabling issue rather than a hardware issue because the likelihood that both units would suffer the same problem would be fairly low.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Hello Jean-marie , i now what you mean and i already did that and the sound is the same from both devialet's , now i'm thinking of it is possible that the background sound is coming from all the cable's behind the stuff.Ther is a lot of it.Maby there is a inferent between the cable"s because when i'm counting there are 10 conectioncable's and ,4 internetcable's,7 powercable's and they are all together in one place .in the weekend i will pull out all the gear from the audio closet ( i don't now the word in english) and build the system again in a open space and then listen ,gr Hans
(14-Oct-2020, 19:30)hansweer Wrote: Hello Jean-marie , i now what you mean and i already did that and the sound is the same from both devialet's , now i'm thinking of it is possible that the background sound is coming from all the cable's behind the stuff.Ther is a lot of it.Maby there is a inferent between the cable"s because when i'm counting there are 10 conectioncable's and ,4 internetcable's,7 powercable's and they are all together in one place .in the weekend i will pull out all the gear from the audio closet ( i don't now the word in english) and build the system again in a open space and then listen ,gr Hans

@hansweer best of luck. I really wish you to find the solution. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France