Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade is back
@MrJellyLord; @David A; @Will; @Vivialet; @mdconnelly; @Confused
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys have mentioned really good points. I am really moved with @Confused recommendations. There's a saying "Less is better" and that's what Devialet did to the electronics chain and we all have benefited from this. 

Trust me, $ 8,000 for 400 - - > 440-PRO hurts but if the overall benefits are substantial, then its worth it. Of course, it also updates my amps to Devialet's current standards ... meaning continuing support. 

I will go for the Roon Nucleus and my ethernet cable is AQ Diamond. Probably, this just may be the "best" route instead of boxes after boxes and more cables ... 

I was at Devialet's NYC manhattan's Main store where I heard the 440 Pro, 1000 Pro with Martin Logan speakers (that's what Devialet USA uses & prefers) and the sound was quite pristine. 

Guess, I'll call the NYC store guys & arrange for the upgrade. 

Thanks to ALL for your valuable inputs ... Sincerely appreciated !!  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(09-Aug-2018, 14:32)DAVEDWACK Wrote: Thanks for that!

Sorry if I'm a bit slow (well I am actually), the very fact that I'm using Roon means that I'm using Roon AIR by default?

Cheers....Dave

If it's working, then yes, you are most likely just using Roon AIR. You'd have to download and install the Devialet AIR driver to use it and trust me, there's no reason to do so if you're using Roon.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Don't install the Devialet Air driver, if it is installed uninstall it. Then you have only one option to select in Roon and you can be sure to use Roon/Air and not Devialet Air.
(09-Aug-2018, 15:17)audio_engr Wrote: Guess, I'll call the NYC store guys & arrange for the upgrade. 
Art
Good choice, you will be very happy with the results
using the B&W 802D3 you will notice a nice improvement.
Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(09-Aug-2018, 19:40)Vivialet Wrote: Don't install the Devialet Air driver, if it is installed uninstall it. Then you have only one option to select in Roon and you can be sure to use Roon/Air and not Devialet Air.

Hi,
Yes I did have Devialet Air installed and in fact it seems that's what I've been using since starting to use Roon, quite successfully in fact.

Nevertheless I've now uninstalled it and as you quite rightly say I now have no option but to use Roon/Air. Hopefully I may even see some improvement.

Many thanks to both yourself and mdconnelly for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers.....Dave
If Devialet AIR was working for you then count yourself among the lucky few, but you'll definitely be better off in the long run with Roon AIR (IMHO). Not sure you'll hear any changes in sound quality, but you should definitely find managing it easier than the Devialet AIR app.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
(10-Aug-2018, 22:07)mdconnelly Wrote: If Devialet AIR was working for you then count yourself among the lucky few, but you'll definitely be better off in the long run with Roon AIR (IMHO).    Not sure you'll hear any changes in sound quality, but you should definitely find managing it easier than the Devialet AIR app.

Yes you’re spot on, I’ve had 5 solid hours earlier today. It’s simplicity itself compared to the Devialet Air where I had to make sure the amp was on, then go to the top task bar and activate it from there on my iMac.

Probably a bit of expectation bias but I feel I have a little more/better defined bass.

Anyway as I said earlier, many thanks.

Cheers....Dave
(10-Aug-2018, 22:18)DAVEDWACK Wrote:
(10-Aug-2018, 22:07)mdconnelly Wrote: If Devialet AIR was working for you then count yourself among the lucky few, but you'll definitely be better off in the long run with Roon AIR (IMHO).    Not sure you'll hear any changes in sound quality, but you should definitely find managing it easier than the Devialet AIR app.

Yes you’re spot on, I’ve had 5 solid hours earlier today. It’s simplicity itself compared to the Devialet Air where I had to make sure the amp was on, then go to the top task bar and activate it from there on my iMac.

Probably a bit of expectation bias but I feel I have a little more/better defined bass.

Anyway as I said earlier, many thanks.

Cheers....Dave
Enjoy!   Roon and Devialet are a perfect match!
Durham, NC USA
(09-Aug-2018, 14:15)mdconnelly Wrote: AIR had numerous and nasty bugs for a long time. I understand the most recent version works reasonably well and is certainly still available from the Devialet site for download. But if you're using Roon, you have no need to bother with it. For me, Roon AIR has worked perfectly from day one.
Thank you, Roon Labs, for that! It was huge win for Devialet owners.
Never a Truer word spoken!
So, whilst Roon AIR is doing great for me, I am left wondering if shipping my Devs to France from Australia for the upgrade to 440s is worth it- SO difficult to decide....
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(13-Aug-2018, 00:06)JICUDoc Wrote:
(09-Aug-2018, 14:15)mdconnelly Wrote: AIR had numerous and nasty bugs for a long time.   I understand the most recent version works reasonably well and is certainly still available from the Devialet site for download.  But if you're using Roon, you have no need to bother with it.    For me, Roon AIR has worked perfectly from day one.  
Thank you, Roon Labs, for that!   It was huge win for Devialet owners.
Never a Truer word spoken!
So, whilst Roon AIR is doing great for me, I am left wondering if shipping my Devs to France from Australia for the upgrade to 440s is worth it- SO difficult to decide....
If the cost is not an issue - the simple answer is yes!  You will get SQ benefits as well as remaining on the Devialet Expert upgrade path and get greater connectivity options (which you may not think you need until you actually have them.) The next change will be the implementation Roon RAAT for Devialet - I am pretty sure that this requires an upgraded Devialet (others might correct me on this).