Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@Pim - Yes, I'm always happy to respond to your points. In a way, the next thing I write might indicate that you have a point, the big change I did not like with the "no null" speaker position was the presentation of the bass. However, it was not just a tonal change, the bass sounded odd, very strange. Plus the tonal change appeared brighter, which is counterintuitive with respect to a null being filled. So as you suggested, yes, it just sunded bad. An additional point I would make here is that I am not a big believer in the theory that you "get used to the sound of your system". Although this may be true in part, I do for example spend more time listening to music in my car than I do at home. That said, I quite like the stereo in my car, it's not bad, so it could be that I am happiest with my "big rig" when it is tonally similar to my car! With all that said, when finally getting to some decent listening time on Sunday with my current speaker position I had a kind of "yes, it sounds good now" moment. So I'll be keeping the speakers where they are now for a while I think, after the year I have had faffing around that "sounds good" moment was very welcome and precious. Although I still have the marks in the carpet if I want to try some of the old positions.

@baconbrain - It was interesting reading your old thread, especially seeing the words I wrote at the time, quite amusing. It also occurs to me that I was running a 19 year old CD player that you could probably buy on eBay for £100 now, with a mighty fine BNC to RCA cable that used to be yours! Maybe it was your old cable that was delivering the goods? Of course, what I was kind of saying is just how good an almost worthless old CD player sounds, when running through £4k's worth of modern referenced clocked reclockers. Cheating, basically. It does leave me wondering what the REF10'd MC3+USB would sound like connected to a decent quality, modern S/PDIF source though.

Finally, I had seen some posts on CA referring to the new Innuos USB you mention. I will be following this one with interest.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 11-Dec-2018, 20:13