Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help in streaming for Devialet 120
(21-Jun-2020, 17:17)lal99 Wrote:
(21-Jun-2020, 09:31)Sailor4W Wrote: I did have problems with streaming from my SonicTransporter via Ethernet to my Expert 120 via Deviate’s AIR. Particularly 24/192 high-Resolution files caused intermittent crackling. Also, Roon indicated that transport was not bit-perfect anymore. I suspected the reason to be in the 1 Gb/s switch I was using. So I dug out my old Airport Extreme to run it exclusively in 2.4 GHz mode that reduces the Speed to 450 Mb/s. Since then, everything runs perfectly fine, everything’s bit perfect, no crackles whatsoever. Hope this helps.

I assume you were using Roon and Sonic transporter was acting as roon core. I had issue with 24/192 and even CD quality. But I was not using roon just devialet air. You were using a separate switch? 
In my case I was just using my router.

Using SonicTransporter provided better sound quality compared to using mac mini or laptop?  Please let me know.
Friend of mine suggested SonicTransporter and another friend said only quality of roon endpoint matters.

Thank you.
Yes indeed, I am using the SonicTransporter as a Roon core. The SonicTransporter has no USB output, so I needed to connect it via a switch with the Devialet Expert 120. I first connected the Devialet and the SonicTransporter to a 1 Gb/s switch. I did have intermittent crackling with 24/192 files, up to 24 bit/96 kHz files went OK. I read in the forum here that even the new Expert Pros do have a problem with streaming Roon mostly because the Ethernet input doesn't seem to be compatible with Gb/s networks. This is why I switched to my Airport Extreme running at 400 Mb/s in the 2.4 GHz band. This setup runs perfectly well with the AIR protocol and the Roon pathway is very simple (see attached file).

One other thing to consider also is the device set up in Roon: when you'r connecting a device, Roon sets the Buffer Size to Default (whatever that means, see attached file). Make sure to set it to at least 100 ms buffer size, otherwise you'll get network problems and the Devialet starts to crackle frequently.

I used my Mac Mini as the Roon core for a long time. Out of practical reasons, I decided to buy a SonicTransporter. After setting it up, I immediately noticed a cleaner background, as if some high pitched noise disappeared. Whether this is solely due to the SonicTransporter, I can't really tell, but the effect was immediately noticeable. So it was a good thing I bought the SonicTransporter. Also, the support of Small Green Computer was very, very good, as I had some problems in setting up the system. Outstanding company and a very good product!

I keep my fingers crossed that you can solve your problems!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1

Messages In This Thread
Help in streaming for Devialet 120 - by lal99 - 21-Jun-2020, 01:47
RE: Help in streaming for Devialet 120 - by Sailor4W - 21-Jun-2020, 18:33