Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
~$10K speaker budget - Focal Kanta 2/3s or choose something else?
@zambie ,

Dealing with rooms is a problem for all of us. There are 2 options. One is to get an architect with experience on acoustic design jobs to design a room for you. I've been in a few such rooms and come away impressed but in every case getting that room was part of a house design or redesign and that is expensive. The other option is to deal with the room you have which is a lot less financially challenging and a lot more challenging in other ways. That's the way most of us go.

Dealing with the room starts with speaker placement and listening position. Electronic correction like Sweet Room or physical acoustic treatment can help but both will deliver their best results if you've got a good setup of the speakers and listening position to start with. Whether you use electronic or physical treatments, it's a lot easier to get good results if you've got a good setup of the speakers and listening position and if you can get a good setup for them you may well be happy to just live with that and not go down either room correction path.

There's lots of "systems" out there, many of them claiming to be the best. My feeling is that the best ones work in some rooms but not all rooms, room proportions often favour some systems over others and pretty much every system I've seen assumes you have a rectangular room. That's great for those of us like me who don't have rectangular rooms (mine is L-shaped). Experimentation is the name of the game so be prepared to try moving the speakers back and forward and from side to side a bit, and the listening position back and forward a bit. Small moves can sometimes make surprisingly large differences.

Have fun with the Sabrinas for the week you've got them for.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: ~$10K speaker budget - Focal Kanta 2/3s or choose something else? - by David A - 21-Nov-2020, 10:56