Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo
(20-Jan-2021, 09:52)fabien44 Wrote:
(19-Jan-2021, 23:59)JDtheJD Wrote: I think the answer to your question depends on which you prefer more, i.e. full extended range with a seemingly less detailed sound stage in light of the price difference.  All very subjective factors.

I was not aware of LS50s, (if they were even available) when I got the golds,  but the golds gave me what I think will be a lifelong memory while listening to the Dave Brubeck’s Quartet’s Take Five. I was working in the kitchen when I turned up the volume to a reasonable, but not loud, level.  After a about 5 seconds of play, my four year old son who was playing in his bedroom came sprinting out and stood mesmerized between the speakers.  I asked if he was ok and he just softly said yes and after a few more seconds he asked “what’s this?”  I gave him a way too specific response but fortunately it didn’t lessen his enjoyment.  Would the same thing have happened with the LS50s? Maybe, but given the price difference I like to think not. . To the extent I am right, I suspect my son’s interests was the result of the full and palpable range the golds offer.

The full extended range could be reached by LS50W2 with a additional sub (even more with Kef KF92) at same price than Gold's.
So the question remains is the SQ? I fear that the Gold sounds digital, clear/bright message while the Kef W renders smoother/warmer (less than the passive meta i guess). But i did not compare A/B both.

I don't want to get auditive fatigue to listen to acoustic music/piano jazz ambiance/warm voices... I am not looking for the maximum details of the sound but a charming plain sound with good bass for HC use.

So you can advise me to go with passive solution but i can make compromises to get more pratical use of listening music that offers an all-in-one active system.
In my experience, if you listen to HQ recordings, you will enjoy the golds.  I have found the golds to be unforgiving in the sense that if you listen to poorly recorded material it is painfully obvious.  If recorded well, I have found the golds to consistently be jaw dropping no matter what the material is. My complaint with the golds is that they can be finicky such that I loath the announcement of an updates whether by Tidal, Roon, Apple, or Devialet.  There is almost never an immediate seamless, improvement, but when when the sound chain is working in sync, the results are musical.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo - by JDtheJD - 22-Jan-2021, 03:34