Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo
@MC94
It seems like there's an upgraded version of the Phantom Premier range coming in the beginning of February. I would hold off buying the Phantoms until the new version is released.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I think the answer to your question depends on which you prefer more, i.e. full extended range with a seemingly less detailed sound stage in light of the price difference. All very subjective factors.

I was not aware of LS50s, (if they were even available) when I got the golds, but the golds gave me what I think will be a lifelong memory while listening to the Dave Brubeck’s Quartet’s Take Five. I was working in the kitchen when I turned up the volume to a reasonable, but not loud, level. After a about 5 seconds of play, my four year old son who was playing in his bedroom came sprinting out and stood mesmerized between the speakers. I asked if he was ok and he just softly said yes and after a few more seconds he asked “what’s this?” I gave him a way too specific response but fortunately it didn’t lessen his enjoyment. Would the same thing have happened with the LS50s? Maybe, but given the price difference I like to think not. . To the extent I am right, I suspect my son’s interests was the result of the full and palpable range the golds offer.
(19-Jan-2021, 23:59)JDtheJD Wrote: I think the answer to your question depends on which you prefer more, i.e. full extended range with a seemingly less detailed sound stage in light of the price difference.  All very subjective factors.

I was not aware of LS50s, (if they were even available) when I got the golds,  but the golds gave me what I think will be a lifelong memory while listening to the Dave Brubeck’s Quartet’s Take Five. I was working in the kitchen when I turned up the volume to a reasonable, but not loud, level.  After a about 5 seconds of play, my four year old son who was playing in his bedroom came sprinting out and stood mesmerized between the speakers.  I asked if he was ok and he just softly said yes and after a few more seconds he asked “what’s this?”  I gave him a way too specific response but fortunately it didn’t lessen his enjoyment.  Would the same thing have happened with the LS50s? Maybe, but given the price difference I like to think not. . To the extent I am right, I suspect my son’s interests was the result of the full and palpable range the golds offer.

The full extended range could be reached by LS50W2 with a additional sub (even more with Kef KF92) at same price than Gold's.
So the question remains is the SQ? I fear that the Gold sounds digital, clear/bright message while the Kef W renders smoother/warmer (less than the passive meta i guess). But i did not compare A/B both.

I don't want to get auditive fatigue to listen to acoustic music/piano jazz ambiance/warm voices... I am not looking for the maximum details of the sound but a charming plain sound with good bass for HC use.

So you can advise me to go with passive solution but i can make compromises to get more pratical use of listening music that offers an all-in-one active system.
(19-Jan-2021, 23:59)JDtheJD Wrote: I think the answer to your question depends on which you prefer more, i.e. full extended range with a seemingly less detailed sound stage in light of the price difference.  All very subjective factors.

I was not aware of LS50s, (if they were even available) when I got the golds,  but the golds gave me what I think will be a lifelong memory while listening to the Dave Brubeck’s Quartet’s Take Five. I was working in the kitchen when I turned up the volume to a reasonable, but not loud, level.  After a about 5 seconds of play, my four year old son who was playing in his bedroom came sprinting out and stood mesmerized between the speakers.  I asked if he was ok and he just softly said yes and after a few more seconds he asked “what’s this?”  I gave him a way too specific response but fortunately it didn’t lessen his enjoyment.  Would the same thing have happened with the LS50s? Maybe, but given the price difference I like to think not. . To the extent I am right, I suspect my son’s interests was the result of the full and palpable range the golds offer.

You are right. Full extended range is obligatory for me. In addition, I generally prefer one device instead of combining different parts because I can do less wrong. I am wondering if an external sub would lead to the same quality of bass like the phantoms due to the question of correct positioning and the fact that I would use only one sub. I know that human ears cannot locate these low frequencies but at least it would be asymmetrical from an aesthetic point of view.
(12-Jan-2021, 22:02)Snoopy8 Wrote: I compared a pair of Golds to a pair of Reactor 900s. Yes, Golds were better with a little more detail and sightly better mids and treble. I then put aside the comparison and listened to the Reactors on their own. My conclusion was that I could easily live with the Reactors, even though I was an owner of a pair of Golds.

The Reactors are value for money. For me, a pair of Reactors if my budget could not stretch to Golds.

One thing to possibly note.

I've heard the Golds with digital room correction and they sounded phenomenal.

Digital room correction needs some digital headroom.

The reactors are rated at 98dB max, so lets say you need 10dB headroom for DSP, you are down to 88dB max from the speakers.

I think the Phantom Classic is good value, considering they are rated at 106 dB, So with 10dB headroom, you still have 96dB range to play with. Good for dynamics.

If not using digital room correction then I guess none of the above matters.

Will be interesting what comes in February, per Devialet's teaser.
(20-Jan-2021, 09:52)fabien44 Wrote:

The full extended range could be reached by LS50W2 with a additional sub (even more with Kef KF92) at same price than Gold's.
So the question remains is the SQ? I fear that the Gold sounds digital, clear/bright message while the Kef W renders smoother/warmer (less than the passive meta i guess). But i did not compare A/B both.

I don't want to get auditive fatigue to listen to acoustic music/piano jazz ambiance/warm voices... I am not looking for the maximum details of the sound but a charming plain sound with good bass for HC use.

So you can advise me to go with passive solution but i can make compromises to get more pratical use of listening music that offers an all-in-one active system.
In my experience, if you listen to HQ recordings, you will enjoy the golds.  I have found the golds to be unforgiving in the sense that if you listen to poorly recorded material it is painfully obvious.  If recorded well, I have found the golds to consistently be jaw dropping no matter what the material is. My complaint with the golds is that they can be finicky such that I loath the announcement of an updates whether by Tidal, Roon, Apple, or Devialet.  There is almost never an immediate seamless, improvement, but when when the sound chain is working in sync, the results are musical.
(20-Jan-2021, 13:44)MC94 Wrote:

You are right. Full extended range is obligatory for me. In addition, I generally prefer one device instead of combining different parts because I can do less wrong. I am wondering if an external sub would lead to the same quality of bass like the phantoms due to the question of correct positioning and the fact that I would use only one sub. I know that human ears cannot locate these low frequencies but at least it would be asymmetrical from an aesthetic point of view.
I think you would need to invest in one or two quality subs to achieve the same experience with the phantom golds.  When I purchased golds, I was moving a lot, sometimes living is smallish apartments, and the phantoms offered full range sound, quick setup (once the internet was up), and a small footprint.  Would I make the same purchase today?  I am unsure, given the reactors and my family’s growing interest in HT, but I can say to this day, whenever I travel, after family, I very much look forward to reuniting with the golds and listening to music.
Not entirely on point, but if it is not too late and/or you are unable to do a side by side comparison you may be interested in a couple of reviews on YouTube. First, there is New Record Days review of KEF Ls50 Metas. Also check out Mark on Hifi who reviewed the KEF KC 62 subwoofer. It sounded like he is thinking of reviewing the golds too. Perhaps the Metas with this sub would be a good match.