Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo
(20-Jan-2021, 13:44)MC94 Wrote:
(19-Jan-2021, 23:59)JDtheJD Wrote: I think the answer to your question depends on which you prefer more, i.e. full extended range with a seemingly less detailed sound stage in light of the price difference.  All very subjective factors.

I was not aware of LS50s, (if they were even available) when I got the golds,  but the golds gave me what I think will be a lifelong memory while listening to the Dave Brubeck’s Quartet’s Take Five. I was working in the kitchen when I turned up the volume to a reasonable, but not loud, level.  After a about 5 seconds of play, my four year old son who was playing in his bedroom came sprinting out and stood mesmerized between the speakers.  I asked if he was ok and he just softly said yes and after a few more seconds he asked “what’s this?”  I gave him a way too specific response but fortunately it didn’t lessen his enjoyment.  Would the same thing have happened with the LS50s? Maybe, but given the price difference I like to think not. . To the extent I am right, I suspect my son’s interests was the result of the full and palpable range the golds offer.

You are right. Full extended range is obligatory for me. In addition, I generally prefer one device instead of combining different parts because I can do less wrong. I am wondering if an external sub would lead to the same quality of bass like the phantoms due to the question of correct positioning and the fact that I would use only one sub. I know that human ears cannot locate these low frequencies but at least it would be asymmetrical from an aesthetic point of view.
I think you would need to invest in one or two quality subs to achieve the same experience with the phantom golds.  When I purchased golds, I was moving a lot, sometimes living is smallish apartments, and the phantoms offered full range sound, quick setup (once the internet was up), and a small footprint.  Would I make the same purchase today?  I am unsure, given the reactors and my family’s growing interest in HT, but I can say to this day, whenever I travel, after family, I very much look forward to reuniting with the golds and listening to music.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying advice: Phantom Classic Stereo - by JDtheJD - 22-Jan-2021, 03:50