Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News about AIR-crackling noise from Munich
(20-May-2015, 07:51)Mohmm Wrote: ….
But the connection also works via my Netgear 4-port switch (not a router!), a connection that I used before the dedicated line (CAT 6A, CAT 5e also works well). Such connections also worked with my earlier LINN streaming gear. What's the quality of your patch cables?

To be honest, I think a few people (probably not you, midi) expect highrez streaming to work with a sub-optimal system or over a compromised network environment (wired or wireless). If it doesn't work as expected, AIR and D must be the culprits. From a developer's standpoint I assume that their testing will be done with up to date computer gear and network structures.

I know I've banged on about this before, but I'd have to disagree with this standpoint, having also suffered Air problems over a wired gigabit network and switch. Quite possibly, Air just isn't very good!

What quality patch cables does one need? Mine are cat 5e and can transfer hundreds of gigabytes - terabytes probably - of data reliably without error.
Yet I can't get a days worth of redbook files out of Air without issues. I barely get a few hours.

So I agree it works for some, but if it won't work over an 'average' gigabit wired network, I don't think its very good, and a decent wireless network probably doesn't stand much chance. The amount of data being moved by Air is tiny, so in my opinion if it doesn't work for practically everyone - at least on a solid network similar to mine - it really isn't very well designed/implemented. Or the Units are faulty perhaps? Either way, it was my biggest disappointment with Devialet.

That is before I picked up on the chattering noise of my D's power supply, and tried the latest two firmwares - the latter being very subjective of course.

Communicating with Devialet support pretty much finished me off.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: News about AIR-crackling noise from Munich - by Hifi_swlon - 21-May-2015, 15:53