Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(25-Feb-2018, 15:49)Confused Wrote: First to answer Zoltan's questions.  Yes, many cables are missing in the picture.  I had set everything up on a table simply to experiment with the different length clock cables.  There is far more spaghetti now everything is up and running, but it is not too bad, you don't notice it when it is in the rack hidden behind many boxes.  The USB and AES/EBU cables are all Audioquest Carbon, and I have been using Roon / HQPlayer.
Thanks for the reply. So we have nearly identical setups regarding both hardware and software, and I know that it's not only the two of us here...

As far as the SQ of SOtM gear, some people say they need a week (24/7) to burn in. I can't comment on that as mine was a demo piece at the Munich show last year, so it was up and running for a while before I bought it. 

I bought the SPS-500 in the autumn and while it is a neat power supply with plenty of juice, I (and my audio buddies) all agreed that both my Uptone JS-2 and Paul Hynes SR3 were clearly better in SQ. I don't want to sell the SPS-500 for now as there just too many things around that need a DC power supply but if I wanted to power the SMS-200 Ultra from it, I would buy an Uptone LPS-1 or rather the new LPS 1.2 to go between them.  

If you have the opportunity at any time in the future to borrow a good quality LPS, you may hear an improvement too.

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by zdenes - 25-Feb-2018, 18:32