Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
Time for an update. Please note that I have also posted some of this to the very different audience on Computer Audiophile, so apologies to those who follow both forums. That said, I welcome the different insights I have received from participants on both forums, so there is good reason for me to do this

Anyway, last week was a busy one for me, I spent most of my time spent miles away from my system, with no time for listening. The SOtM kit has been kept powered up 24/7, and I have spent some time feeding it from Roon Radio. The hours are going on the kit. I also nearly got stuck in the snow that struck the UK last week, although some might say that serves me right for driving a large rear wheel drive car and ignoring the weather forecast, but never mind.

Unfortunately, this weekend I was also very busy with many things, but I did get time to for a couple of listening sessions. To be honest, my initial impression from last weekend is little changed. That said, I do have a bit more insight into what might be troubling me with the addition of the SOtM kit. Almost everything seems to be good, but to me the treble seems to be a little overemphasised, and has a slightly unpleasant 'glassy' characteristic to it. You could say a 'digital edge' is there that I do not think was apparent with the humble microRendu. Although one caveat here, this is a characteristic that seems far more apparent with some pieces of music. I am posting this now as an update, and to see if anyone perhaps has any insight into this aspect of the SOtM kit.

One thing does occur to me here, I note in the Steve Plaskin review of the Sonore Signature Rendu versus the SOtM ultra bundle he does refer to the microRendu's 'somewhat dark sound'.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/audi...re-vs-sotm

So maybe this is what I am experiencing? The change from this darker sound. Although maybe whatever this dark sound might be, perhaps it is something I happen to like or happens to suit my system, maybe it's just what I am used to, and it's my brain that needs more burn in time.

Meanwhile, I have a plan for this coming weekend. I will try feeding the MC3+USB with three combinations, the sMS-200Ultra with tX-USBultra, the microRendu on it's own, and the micrRendu with the tX-USBultra. Depending on how this works out, I could try the sMS-200Ultra without the tX-USBultra. This should give me some insight into what each component is bringing, or is taking away, from the end result. Maybe this will clarify matters? We time will tell.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 05-Mar-2018, 13:36