Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(12-Mar-2018, 02:00)alandbush Wrote: @Confused
You must have boundless energy and patience.  I don’t think I could cope with that many changes.
Fascinating reading even if I have no intention of ever trying any of the items in question.
I have plenty to keep me busy refining FIR filters for my Phantoms.

Anyhoo, to my question and please forgive me if I have missed the answer to this in earlier posts.
I believe you prefer the Devialet aes input and use the Mutec to convert usb to aes?
Now that you have all of this wonderful new kit, should you also revisit the Devialet usb input, especially with the txusbultra which appears to be the star performer.

Boundless energy and patience?  I have to say that by early afternoon on Sunday I was sick to death of A/B testing. On Saturday I was quite enjoying it, but eventually you hit a limit and it is not possible to concentrate on the differences anymore, everything starts to sound the same and you can start to focus only on the negatives.  It's an important point I think, because reading back through what I have written, in some areas it is a little negative towards the SOtM kit.  So as another update, I can advise that on Sunday afternoon I had given up on the experimentation and was just playing whatever music I fancied.  This offered a few unexpected 'wow' moments.  A case of hidden layers in the music being revealed, not so much detail, but texture.  I am not sure if the old and overused 'it was like lifting a veil' metaphor works here, this was more like putting your hand behind the veil and having a poke around.

In other words, with the SOtM kit is sounding pretty impressive now.

As for trying the SOtM bundle via USB, no I have not tried this, although it is something that I want to try.  I have read about a case of someone who was running a very similar set up to myself, including the Mutec REF10, although in his case the MC3+USB was feeding a Chord Dave.  He tried running the SOtM kit via USB, and found this provided a superior result.  I suspect that with the Devialet, that the MC3+USB feeding via AES/EBU will be best, but I am open minded to the possibility that with the CI equipped Pro maybe USB could come out on top.  So this is well worth a try I think.  In fact, it is now second on my list of things to try.  First on my list of things to try is the SOtM modified switch that I have yet to put into my system, so this needs to be tried before the USB vs AES/EBU comparison.

At the moment I am keen to try the switch, but a big part of me want to pause all the upgrading and testing stuff.  Sometimes you need to just enjoy the system, play what you want to listen to and forget the technical stuff.  This is when you really learn how good the recent upgrades or whatever are performing, when you are not thinking about them.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 12-Mar-2018, 10:38