Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(12-Mar-2018, 10:38)Confused Wrote: ...

At the moment I am keen to try the switch, but a big part of me want to pause all the upgrading and testing stuff.  Sometimes you need to just enjoy the system, play what you want to listen to and forget the technical stuff.  This is when you really learn how good the recent upgrades or whatever are performing, when you are not thinking about them.

Hey Confused,
that's absolutely right. Give the new system time to burn in and give it some long time listening sessions. Then after a few days switch back to your old system or another combination and you will rapidly know which system gives the most.

Of what I'm reading of the SOtM stuff it gives more resolution/tranparency/better timing to a system. Resolution/transparency always comes with the predisposition of being a 'magnet'  for noise and 'digital artefacts'...e.g. a (or multiple) SMPS (phone/tablet/lamp/any device) plugged in elsewhere in your listening room may have had no big impact on the sound before (you couldn't recognize) but is now giving you this 'digital touch' that adds on to the 'not burned in' texture in the sound of the new system.

High resoluting systems get very fragile to the point that even a grounding cable connected from a TT to the Devialet can act as an 'antenna' for noise. Try disconnecting (and pull the plug) every other device from your Devialet and listen again. The improvement might surprise you. I don't want to get you paranoid just want to make you sensitve of effects you wouldn't think of that have an impact on the sound.
It's difficult to explain but I made the experience many times that SMPS regardless of their positioning in the room have a profound negative influence on the sound. Try it with the SMPS that came with your mobile...listen.

gui

p.s. If it'd withstand we have to give this a new test name   Huh   PAM-Test - Paranoid Audiophile Madness (based on the SAM-test) Big Grin

edit: ...oh, when everything has calmed down try the SAM-Test again with the new system. I can think of getting even better and more differentiated results out of the SAM-Test this time Wink
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by yabaVR - 13-Mar-2018, 22:22