Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(19-Mar-2018, 21:34)thumb5 Wrote: In this situation I might recommend the Audio Note method: http://audionote.co.uk/articles/art_audio_hell.shtml.

If nothing else it might act as an ear/brain re-boot mechanism...

To be honest the text of Mr. Leonard Norwitz has so many flaws, assumptions and constructed comparisons and was written way back in 1993. I don't want to say that there're no proper passages in his text (see below) but he for himself is concentrating on 'Mono-Recordings from the 1950s and the 1960s'. For me he's an oddbod from the past who claims to have the clue and most of the audiophile freaks have no clue at all and are all misleaded.

Allthough he arguments on old technic it nevertheless bears some truth in it (at least in this quote):
"If it weren't for the fact that detail in video is made up of such large particles as compared to the micro-events which exist in audio, we might not have been misled about the term "detail", and would have called it by its proper name, which is "grain". Grain creates the perception of more events, particularly in the treble region, because they are made to stand out from the musical texture in an unnaturally highlighted form. In true high-resolution audio systems, grain disappears and is replaced by a seamless flow of connected musical happenings. [cf. "As Time Goes By" Positive Feedback Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 4-5, Fall '93]"

I think he's right in what he says here but as this quote is from the 90's (and the 90's analogue/digital technic) he actually never heard a decent digtal system like a Devialet at that time.
But he got one very good spotting here allthough this is connected to analogue audio from that time. He speaks of grain leading to unnatural texture misperceived as more micro details and that might just be right for the digital world too allthough we don't have a 'grain' in digital in respect to his arguement.
My assumption here is that 'jitterized' micro details could be interpreted as 'digital grain' that can give the illusion of more micro details (as e.g. with SAM switched on). I think a Devialet is very transparent on that and the more you get rid of that 'digital grain' (as the SOtM-kit does) the last passage of his quote comes into play.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by yabaVR - 21-Mar-2018, 09:48