Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(28-Mar-2018, 21:16)8Confused Wrote: On this subject, it only dawned on me recently that my entire system is SMPS powered! Oh the horror.  Power is as follows:

Computer - SMPS
Router - SMPS
Modified switch - UptoneAudio LPS-1, which itself is powered by SMPS "energiser"
SOtM kit - sPS-500 - which is a SMPS unit, albeit a very trick one.
Mutec MC3+USB - SMPS
Devialet Expert Pro - SMPS x 2

Woh! Before you do anything else, deal with all the noise your SMPS’s are returning to your mains, impacting on any audio devise you have on the same ring/circuit. In fact, I would suggest even with a dedicated spur or properly defined, radial circuit this needs absolutely to be your priority over anything else.

Firstly, no SMPS should be directly connected to any mains wall socket and actually, for the very best sound, that applies to every SMPS unit you have in your house, possibly even your neirbours house although you will have little control over that.

All SMPS devises need to be plugged into a mains extension block with an appropriate mains feed length of cable. This can be very short when circumstances dictate. Extention block offerings include multiple 13amp fused plug outlets. 2,4,6,8,10 and more options are available. Plug your SMPS devises only into such an extension.

You absolutely need to deal with the noise the SMPS devises inject into your mains and there is a very affective, cheap and easy to do solution.

Buy from eBay or Amazon a set of Ferrite Core cable clamps, just like you find often already incorporated into some of your computer leads etc. Cheap as chips. Clip them to the mains cable close to the multiple plug block. This will seriously suppress RFI and other noisy elements being returned to your mains. Multi packs allow multiple placement application. Remember, mains are AC current. It is multi-directional, however, always think in terms of the mains return. Always clip your clamps between the SMPS devises and the mains socket.

To do a proper job, apply this practice to the whole of your accommodation. You will be surprised how many SMPS devises you are using.

Localised SMPS devises are really bad news for any quality sound system. Ignore them at your peril. In terms of power to your specific audio devises, the preference is to go linear. They quietly work the best and for certain, do not believe the bollocks some write about the benefits of batteries. Be sure, LPSU’s are far superior to any noisey modern battery option.

I don’t want to appear conceited but have to say I would never consider a listening test before doing what I have advocated above.

Of course, YMMV, but I doubt it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Greg - 29-Mar-2018, 00:28