Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(28-Mar-2018, 21:16)Confused Wrote: On this subject, it only dawned on me recently that my entire system is SMPS powered! Oh the horror.  Power is as follows:

Computer - SMPS
Router - SMPS
Modified switch - UptoneAudio LPS-1, which itself is powered by SMPS "energiser"
SOtM kit - sPS-500 - which is a SMPS unit, albeit a very trick one.
Mutec MC3+USB - SMPS
Devialet Expert Pro - SMPS x 2

I wouldn't put it that drastically as Greg but yes he's right. And I made the experience many, many times that a texture of digital edge in the sound went away by pulling SMPSs out of the mains.
But there are some quiet good ones and there are bad and very bad ones !
Obviously the SMPS inside our Devialets is a good one and even nessasary to provide it's speed combined with power. The SOtM SMPS should be a good one too. And I wouldn't concentrate on the SMPS in your audio at the moment as you couldn't change it now. I would consider to concentrate on any other cheaply SMPS in the room. It's really no problem to pull off a lamp/charger/wireless phone/or anything else if it's not needed for audio. Don't make a hassle to compare before/after. Just do it before your long listening session next weekend and enjoy the music...

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by yabaVR - 29-Mar-2018, 05:37