Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
I admire the Confused one's persistence and am entirely ok with the view that he sees it as worthwhile in going through a process which resulted in him selecting a Mutec and a REF10, items which I would (politely) refer to as peripheral!

Indeed I could have chosen to go down the same route (I asked for a Mutec to be sent to me when I was at the Munich show last year but it never arrived) but then I gave some thought as to how much I had spent on my core gear (£85k) and how much I presumably respected the manufacturers who had made efforts to get that right. And who did not incorporate these peripherals.

So the following posts were, in part, to discourage me from going down these peripheral routes, which are, I suspect, pretty much never ending. Hence, I concluded that, if you want to tweak, try tone controls and/or room treatments; see how your system performs on a minimal basis; and don't get sucked into tweaking too much, if you do want to try it, by eliminating lots of product which you might regard as lacking the robustness of your core system.

Tone Controls:     https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...4#pid73684

Minimal Systems:    https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...3#pid73743

Discipline In Cable Selection:     https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...1#pid73771

As a result, I actually chose just to listen just to my core system and, in fact, I eliminated (and sold) the Entreq cables and boxes I had previously bought.

I've come to the view that variations brought about by room treatment and variations inherent in different recordings are much bigger than experienced with cables and/or peripherals; and that the less stuff I have, then the less I can fiddle around.

And I still have SAM and infinitely variable bass and treble and the rarely mentioned but occassionally useful balance. And we all listen in different ways, as very usefully described in Julian Musgrave's recent article in HiFi Critic:

"Specifically, identify ones “Distortion Profile”. Namely define the three most important sound qualities you must have and the three most important sound qualities you must avoid. You cannot use specifications, nor can the qualities be vague, and the qualities cannot be antonyms of one another.

This exercise is a tough one and I ended up with:
- must have: transparency, width, depth
- must avoid: forwardness, bass slam, treble drive"

This may be a very helpful discipline for many listeners and tweakers.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by IanG-UK - 02-Apr-2018, 19:07