Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
Yet another update.....

As mentioned in my above post, it was bugging me a little why I was getting inconsistent REW results running REW in the conventional way using AIR, and via generating a wav file to play via Roon / HQPlayer SOtM or mR streaming. A bit of playing around today I have solved this issue and can get bang on consistent results between the two. The only remaining niggle is that the wav file generation method works fine if the file is 16bit, but I still get odd results if it is 24bit. The key point is that I can generate pretty much identical graphs now with Roon / SOtM, Roon AIR, and REW by itself with AIR.

Unfortunately, these results show I still have a bit of peak at 4.75kHz, this is consistent with all methods of using REW. So in the interests of honest and open posting, I can declare that the measurements per post #131 yesterday appear to be erroneous and tricking me, or at least I cannot duplicate them today.

This is an object lesson in confirmation bias, I had measurements that indicated an improvement, I listed and heard an improvement. It looks now as if yesterday's measurements were suspect for some reason, but they did still serve to fool my brain. I m actually a little puzzled by yesterdays results, as the REW runs were done exactly as I did a week ago, I just cannot repeat them today, and today I have REW working 100% consistently, however I use it.

I did think about deleting the above post because I now know some of it was wrong and I was kidding myself, at least in part. However, I thought it might be more informative to put the sections where I now think expectation bias was tricking me in italics, this is full disclosure. I have made a bit of an idiot of myself in post #131, let's be honest, but being open about this is far more informative (and probably entertaining for you lot) than deleting stuff and covering my tracks. Trust your ears they say, but beware, even if you know expectation bias exists it can still come and bight you! I think it is when you think you are infallible to the trickery that your brain can perform that you might really be in trouble.

One thing that is still right in the post #131 nonsense is that the SOtM kit does sound subjectively brighter, I had not changed my view there. So the mystery of why the mR sounded darker remains.

I am pleased that I have the REW issues sorted, that one is off my mind. The REW results are clear now. Oh, and in case you are wondering, for the last hour or so I have just been listening to music, no more measuring and tinkering for a while!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 08-Apr-2018, 11:18