Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(13-Apr-2018, 12:50)Confused Wrote: Thanks for the comparison Zoltan, it's always good to have such a clear cut conclusion from A/B tests like this.  One question I  have, I see you are using an Uptone JS2 LPSU with your sMS-200Ultra.  This is one of the better LPSU's for this kind of duty, so I would expect it to be very good, but can you give some kind of indication of how it compares to using the sPS-500 to power both SOtM items?  (I am still having thoughts of one or two Paul Hynes SR4's)

Another thought I have, I think I would have been tempted to use the JS2 to power the tXUSBultra, being as it is the 'last item in the chain' before the Mutec MC3+USB.  Have you tried this?
I plan to do power supply testing in the near future. As I mentioned several times, I got better results on the SMS-200 ultra with the JS-2 than the SPS-500. In fact, I wanted to try on the tx-USB ultra too but my unit has problems from the beginning. 4 times out 5 after booting I cannot connect the SMS-200 ultra to the Mutec (through NAA) if the tx-USB ultra is in the chain. The USB device just doesn't show up. The same if I connect to the Devialet USB input. This has been going on for several weeks now and SOtM has been very helpful but we haven't been able to identify the reason and I have run out of ideas what may be at fault. 

I tried the tx-USB ultra once with a PH SR3 but the power supply developed a problem. A technician fixed it and said that it cannot be completely ruled out that the problem was caused by the unit it was powering (the tx-USB ultra). So I am reluctant to connect anything else than the SPS-500 now. Hopefully, my unit will be replaced in Munich next month. Then I can do more testing.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by zdenes - 13-Apr-2018, 15:09