Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(16-Apr-2018, 11:11)Confused Wrote: Edit:  A further question to the room correction experts out there.  I have a UMIK-1 microphone which I have been using for my measurements with REW.  I note that there is a suggestion that when measuring with REW the microphone should be pointing directly upwards, rather than horizontal / towards the speakers.  Is this correct?  Are there uses when horizontal or vertical is preferable?  I set up the UMIK-1 for use in REW a couple of years ago and added the specific calibration file.  I cannot remember if this was a "90°" calibration or not.  What is the recommendation?

I'm not an RC expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I also have a UMIK-1 and have been puzzled, not to say confused, by the same thing.  Last time I looked into it, I found a thread on CA (apparently since deleted) that said:

Quote:Well... it's the mic's calibration file that prescribes the orientation, 0° for an horizontal positioning or 90° if the calibration has been done for a mic's vertical positioning.  If one happens to have both (i.e. miniDSP's UMIK-1) then for Stereo systems it's a choice that depends on various factors (the vertical positioning will get slightly more of the room vs. direct radiation).

I hope that helps.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by thumb5 - 17-Apr-2018, 06:40