Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(30-Apr-2018, 13:49)zdenes Wrote:
(30-Apr-2018, 10:51)Confused Wrote: @zdenes There is a good reason I have not tried the LPS-1 with the SOtM kit.  The LPS-1 has a maximum of 7v, the SOtM kit is 12v.  Curiously, May from SOtM has advised me that the 12v tX-USBultra and sMS-200Ultra work well if powered with 9v.  I have this with my sPS-500 set to 9v, and yes, it works fine.  Very strange!

Sorry, I have little knowledge on the LPS-1. I saw that some people tried that but I guess they must have the low voltage setting on the SOtM products.

Anyway, I converting the SOtM units from 9V to 12V is just removing a jumper. That probably engages or disengages and additional voltage regulator and burns voltage as heat. The units perhaps are optimised 9V. Apparently, Mr.Lee from SOtM suggested so. I read that at least one person found the original SMS-200 better on 12V but cannot recall any comparison on either the SMS-200ultra or the tx-USBultra. 
What do you hear? Any differences?

I have not yet performed an A/B test between 9V and 12V.  As it happens, they are running on 9V now, I switched to 9V firstly just to see if they did actually work with 9V, and secondly to see if it made any difference to the HF issue.  They worked, and the HF issue appeared to be unchanged, which is what you would expect.  I think part of my problem since adding the SOtM kit is that whenever I listen I am just thinking about the HF issue, so it is impossible to evaluate anything else.  My hope is that the new HAF convolutions should neutralise the HF issue and let me get back to listening to music again, rather than listening to HF levels.  Assuming this is the case, I plan to do a quick trial of 9V versus 12V, and even try the 12V battery pack again.  I'll then have another think about maybe selling the sPS-500 in favour of SR-4's.  In the short term it will be one thing at a time, and the next thing will be a few (hopefully happy) listening sessions with the HAF convolutions.  Based on my quick listen yesterday they certainly make a big difference, so this will be interesting, a bit like having a new system. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 30-Apr-2018, 17:37