Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(30-Apr-2018, 09:35)Blackmorec Wrote:
(30-Apr-2018, 02:01)PeppaPig Wrote: May be because the SoMT adding extra resolution on top of the Devialet? Because I think Devialet not warm sounding amp, its bit sharp/bright, it is OK if the speaker matched well. I found this in my system, when I upgraded the speaker, it break the balance... sometimes too much resolution is not a good thing.

With respect, the Devialet is neither sharp nor bright. Its virtually 100% transparent to the signal with which its presented, so if the signal coming in is at all sharp or bright the Devialet will reproduce that faithfully and will not editorialize, round or enhance the signal in any way.  But, like any audio component the Devialet is influenced by its support device. Put a Devialet on cones if you want it to sound more pinpoint, sharp and yes, analytical. But mounted on a neutral support, the Devialet is exactly that, neutral  and entirely transparent. This is a good thing because as long as the rest of the system is performing well, the Devialet will not add or subtract anything.  In my experience, hardness or brightness in a system is most usually caused by an imbalance in the system's resolving abilities. As an example, take a highly resolved signal and pass it through a cable that smears the signal. The 'lost' information that goes into the cable doesn't simply disappear, it comes out, but is now smeared and combined with other parts of the musical signal as distortion. In my experience, the area most affected is the air and ambience around instruments. which is typically what's lost when resolution is less than optimum. As this is all high frequency information, you are combining this high frequency energy with the same frequencies associated with other parts of the music, causing the system to overemphasise those particular frequencies.  This comes over to the listener as hardness, brittleness, brightness, sharpness etc..... simply an overabundance of high frequency energy.  Whenever you replace a component in a system with something that resolves more high frequency detail, like air, ambience and decay, the system always sounds at the same time more sparkling, shimmering and natural, with less harshness or hardness in the treble.

This statement is so true it should be an opener article to read for every Devialet user in this forum.

@Confused
It's still my guess/believe (from this far away) that treating the HF issue you have in your audio system (only more prominent with the SOtM kit) with REW is like pulling the bulb of a blinking oil lamp in your car instead of fixing the leakage and filling up with oil. I think that @Blackmorec is absolutely right with his post and the solution of your problem is down this road.

My experience with many systems I tuned is that harshness/brightness always points to a big amount of 'musical information' captivated/locked (resonates, if you want) in that specific frequency range that bothers you. It's over prominent and you hear it every time. Personally I'm happy to hear something like this in a new system because it's almost always a big fortune once you released this 'captured musical information' (and it's proof the system is high resolving). Because when you solve the issue you can gain so much more transparency and ambience of recording/naturalness in music you wouldn't have thought of before.

If you flatten all of this (e.g. HF issue) by using something like REW you loose all this 'musical information' of a recording. No question it sounds good to the ear and it might be a great relief but you loose the magic you could've achieved when really solving the cause of this HF issue...promise.

gui

p.s. ...may I insert SMPS...sorry, couldn't resist Big Grin
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by yabaVR - 01-May-2018, 09:01