Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
(01-May-2018, 11:42)zdenes Wrote: I hope that Confused's concern will be solved through with the HAF convolutions and/or power supply changes.

I thought that one question that may be worth talking about is what filters people with the SMS-200ulra (or Microrendu) use in HQPlayer or Roon.

As for myself, I sort of jumped on the bandwagon a bit and have been using poly-sinc-xtr-mp but a couple of times I went back to a few others. Now with so many good clocks in my system all 'referenced' to the REF10, I feel that the poly-sinc-shrt-mp gives better presence and more realistic sound, especially on acoustic instruments and vocals.

I'm saying this here, rather than in the HQPlayer thread that as far as I understand, the filters affect timing more than anything else and with the Ref 10 being so precise we may prefer other settings than people who have less precise clocks in their system.

I wonder if anybody else has experimented a bit with the filters AFTER adding the Ref 10?
This is something that I have thought about myself.  A couple of weeks ago I did have a quick play trying alternative HQPlayer filters.  To be honest, this was a bit of a pointless exercise at the time, all I was doing was trying different settings and then listening to see if they mitigated the HF issue, which of course they did not.  In fact, there are many things I have planned to try, different cable lengths for the REF10, MC3+USB and SOtM kit, power supply options, trying the SOtM kit direct to the Devialet's USB, effect of the REF10 on the SOtM kit versus for the MC3+USB, @yabaVR's SMPS elimination test.  Lots of things, but all of this would be pointless if all I am doing is obsessing about HF.  I am really looking forward to this weekends listening, if the HAF filters provide the system / brain reset I am hoping for, then I will be a very happy boy.  In theory, the HAF filters should do just this, moving my system towards a frequency balance based on an established 'target curve', rather than it being what it just happens to be for the Blades in my room.  If nothing else it will be a useful experience.   If the HAF filters do not work for me, then I will need to formulate a plan B.  I am not sure what plan B will be, this depends on exactly what the HAF filter trial reveals.

Going back to the HQPlayer filter question.  Prior to adding the REF10 & SOtM kit, I had settled on a preference for poly-sinc-xtr NS9.  Prior to that, I had good results from poly sinc-shrt-mp, but over time I found that I was generally less keen on the mp versions.  Zoltan - It is interesting that with the REF10 and SOtM kit in your system you now have a preference for a particular mp version, this might just be your preference of course, but it could indeed be something specifically relating to the influence of the REF10.  I look forward to giving this a try, after my 'plan A' brain reset that is! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Confused - 02-May-2018, 10:57