Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@Confused. : I hope you don’t mind me posting my findings in your thread.
I’ve had the SOtM Triple set in my system for nearly a month now.
My first impressions were not very favourable, in fact I didn’t like the sound which was thin and brittle at the top end, but this was with brand new components and new cables. I left the SOtM gear turned on permanently and with Roon playing a shuffle of all of my tracks. Roon has behaved impeccably, playing for over twenty days non stop without any problems at all. Testament to the reliability of Roon in my setup.
Listening now, things have improved considerably. I could bang on about the better bass, treble and room filling, almost wrap around soundstage etc., all true btw, but one word sums it up for me. Realism. I’ve never heard my system sound so good, so true and so Right. Listening now, it’s hard for me to grasp how the SQ could be bettered, but obviously my next move, when funds allow, will be to add a Ref.10 into the mix. I read that the sPS-500 is sensitive to mains cables, so I recently made one up with good quality cable, a silver plated mains plug and a silver plated Wattgate IEC connector although I couldn’t hear any difference compared with the stock cable, so maybe some burn in is needed?
I’m not hearing any of the annoying high frequency accentuation that Confused is hearing, but obviously it’s a different system, room, ears etc.
At the moment, I’m using the USB cable that came with the tX-USBUltra, but I’ve ordered a Wireworld Starlight Silver - I couldn’t justify spending £550 on the Platinum - to connect between it and the Mutec, hoping that this will bring further improvements. I’ve also got an Etalon Ethernet Isolator to add to the feed to the sMS-200 Ultra, and ordered some Ferite clamps for the mains extension blocks that all of my SMPSs are connected to. So some tweaking still to be done, but nothing too expensive for the time being! When I’m happy that everything has settled down, an interim measure will be to take some REW measurements with a view to getting Thierry to generate some HAF files for me.
Needless to say that I’m very happy with what the SOtM gear has done for my enjoyment of the music. I’ve had a large lump in my throat on several occasions. Thanks, @Confused, for your excellent posts and observations that have spurred me on to try this wonderful gear. I hope that this account doesn’t come across as too gushing and OTT, but these are my honest impressions.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by Axel - 04-May-2018, 02:57