Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
I haven't done much room correction except the DSP in my subwoofers but my room is acoustically treated.

On the other hand, I have done extensive experimenting and A/B and A/B/C, etc. testing of power supplies for my Mutec MC3+USB (converted to accept DC) and also on the SOtM gear, testing a number of vibration control devices on the Ref10 and clock cable testing. They all matter to a great deal and once you optimize those you may find that the subtle difference between AIR and the SOtM based source is not that subtle. I find it a little difficult to comprehend why you spent 7 grand on the equipment and not the last few hundred to get things to perfection and instead countless hours on DSP optimization. The HF glare could have been solved just by getting PH power supplies.

Also, £7K is a lot of money for the subtle difference but then again, the cost of the Devilet + speakers + cables + power filtering + rack + room treatment, etc. is around 60K in my case, so I still found it justified having spent a bit over 10% of that for a clearly audible improvement and the hassle-free operation that SOtM streaming offers.
In my case (maybe unique) my home 2.2 home theatre system also goes through the Mutecs and they bring tremendous improvement in the sound quality of the movies. But I understand that for most people here, it may not be important.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by zdenes - 03-Jun-2018, 14:47