Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
My experience on Roon AIR vs mR/MC3 is mostly the same as Confused. As I do not own a REF10 my setup differs from both Confused's and zdenes'. I have not yet modified my MC3 for external DC either, but plan to.
Roon AIR is extremely good, but mR/MC3 is still better. There is better transparency and dynamics with the MC3 inline. AIR has a very special relaxed or calm character that (I believe) the AES/EBU input does not have. I wish I could combine AIR's calm with the MC3 transparency. This can of course be many things as the signal goes through more cables and stages with mR/MC3. AIR has the advantage of a different, and I assume shorter and more direct signal path than AES/EBU. I also believe the CI clock scheme improves the overall sound for both.
If I did not own the MC3 +USB I'd probably be quite happy with Roon AIR today and I would perhaps not upgrade. In my case there is around USD2300 extra for microRendu 1.4, LPS-1 and Mutec MC3 +USB. I am happy I own them and I will certainly continue to use them.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra - by ogs - 03-Jun-2018, 16:42